none
Newer USB Devices Rejected by Device Manager. RRS feed

• Question

• My USB devices get turned down by Device Manger, Registry, setupapi.dev.log???  Something is rejecting my USB devices and I don't know what.

As of a certain date (last Spring), all of my USB devices that had been connected prior to that date are still recognized by my computer and are still accessible when connected.

Since that certain date, all of my USB devices that had not been connected prior to that date are not recognized by my computer. When I connect a newer USB device, Windows 7 gives me a diminishing tone, dah, doh, and the device will not be recognized by Computer Management, Windows Explorer, nor any other after-market software tool designed to recognize connected peripherals.

I've tried fixing the issue with my Windows 7 install disk, but to no avail.

I've tried renaming the setupapi.dev.log, but to no avail. When I renamed the setupapi.dev.log Windows 7 recreated a new one but the problem still persists.

I haven't attempted anything in the Registry, yet. I don't know enough about the Registry to feel comfortable in deleting or renaming or making any changes to the Registry.

I suspect the issue with my newer USB devices is within the Registry, but am not absolutely sure.

Would anyone be able to provide me with an step-by-step walk-through without hosing-up my entire system?

Thanks much in advance.

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:15 PM

All replies