none
Creating Joins in Datasets RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi:

I have a table with 100plus columns, and heavy textual data. Only around 30 of these columns are editable and the rest are read Only.

Now I need to display both the ReadOnly and the editable columns, and I have to display tens of thousands of rows on a Windows farm that consumes Webservices. It is a business necessity. So this means humongous traffic and load on my Webservices.

I would like to cache the read-only part on my client and get updates only for the relevant parts. Then I would like to join the rows to make them complete again, and create a new datatable that can be the DataSource to a 3rd party Grid Control.

Is there a way to join two datatables like this?

TIA

Kar

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:16 PM

Answers

• I realized last week that Dataset.Merge will do the job, after adding primary keys to datatables, and setting the Merge Schema Flag on.

Duh!

So I now just have a persisted copy of the static data, and get the volatile fields each time, and then do a merge.

But I hope this helps someone else.

Kar

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:45 AM

All replies

•  

If you have the latest technology in your hands, you could use LINQ to accomplich those tasks. Otherwise next link might help you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326080/en-us

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:38 AM
  • I realized last week that Dataset.Merge will do the job, after adding primary keys to datatables, and setting the Merge Schema Flag on.

Duh!

So I now just have a persisted copy of the static data, and get the volatile fields each time, and then do a merge.

But I hope this helps someone else.

Kar

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:45 AM