Rehosted Debugging RRS feed

• Question

• In his blog http://blogs.msdn.com/kushals/archive/2009/12/29/visualworkflowtrackingwithstepservice.aspx Kushal wrote "Please note that, it is not Re-hosted debugging per say since we are not controlling the Workflow Runtime through a customer debug engine."

How can I actually control the Workflow Runtime through a custom debug engine? Where to start with?

I need debug commands like Step Into, Step Over, Repeat last Step, Continue at Selected Activity. Is there any possibility to accomplish this?

I thought about executing any highlighted activity of the workflow's activity hierarchy in a separate instance to simulate the stepping behaviour of the debugging, but these are of-cause separate instances with no common context.

Regards

Christof

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hi -

The debug APIs allow to track Workflow execution, as outlined in Kushal's blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/kushals/archive/2009/12/29/visualworkflowtrackingwithstepservice.aspx
    It is possible to simulate Step Into thru Blog’s scenario by adding breakpoint to the next activity and pressing F5; however it does not provide debugging support (just tracking).

Workflow debugging has dependency on Visual Studio debugging engine. WF4.0 does not currently have API support for building a custom debug engine outside of VS.

Regards,

Naiana

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hi Christof -

We do not have support for this scenario.

Please help us with following releases by submitting your suggestions/feedback thru https://connect.microsoft.com/wf

Regards,
    Naiana

• Marked as answer by Christof K Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Christof K Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Christof K Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi -

The debug APIs allow to track Workflow execution, as outlined in Kushal's blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/kushals/archive/2009/12/29/visualworkflowtrackingwithstepservice.aspx
    It is possible to simulate Step Into thru Blog’s scenario by adding breakpoint to the next activity and pressing F5; however it does not provide debugging support (just tracking).

Workflow debugging has dependency on Visual Studio debugging engine. WF4.0 does not currently have API support for building a custom debug engine outside of VS.

Regards,

Naiana

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hi Naiana

I was wondering if the following scenario would be a workaround for the debugging scenario.

If the workflow stops at a breakpoint, the workflow is persisted to a in-memory XML file. As I understand, the state of the workflow is persistent, e.g. the values of variables and the current activity. Therefore I could change the values of variables or set the current activity back to a previously executed activity by manipulating  the persisted workflow. Afterwards I would load and continue the persisted workflow.

Does that work?

By the way. The sample to use a XML file as InstanceStore is not available any more \WF_WCF_Samples\WF\Application\PurchaseProcess. Has this feature be dropped as well (like dynamic updating)?

Regards

Christof

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:18 AM
  • Hi Christof-

When the workflow stops at a breakpoint, it does not persist to a in-memory file.

For the workflow tracking solution (from Blog), when breakpoint is hit, it waits for user input (F5).

//Show the Debug Adornment
    void ShowDebug(SourceLocation srcLoc)
    {
       …
       if (isBreakpointHit == true)
       {
          resumeRuntimeFromHost.WaitOne();
       }
    }

protected override void OnKeyDown(System.Windows.Input.KeyEventArgs e)
     {
        if (e.Key == Key.F9)
        {
            …
        }
        else if (e.Key == Key.F5)
        {
           resumeRuntimeFromHost.Set();
        }
     }

I hope this helps.
    Naiana

J

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Hi Naiana

My question was if I write my own code to follow that scenario, would this work or is it simply not possible?

Here again that scenario in pseudo code:

1. Start workflow.
    2. Pause workflow at breakpoint
    3. Persist workflow to an in-memory XML file
    4. Modify workflow status at in-memory XML file, e.g. values of variables or current activity
    5. Reload workflow from in-memory file
    6. Resume workflow (with the new values of variables or current activity)

Regards

Christof
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Hi Christof -

We do not have support for this scenario.

Please help us with following releases by submitting your suggestions/feedback thru https://connect.microsoft.com/wf

Regards,
    Naiana

• Marked as answer by Christof K Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Christof K Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:07 PM