Boe-Bot, MSRS 2008 R2 issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First of all I'm quite familiar with C# but not at all with MSRS, so please forgive my 'noob' questions :).

My setup:
    - Windows 7 x64
    - Microsoft Robotics Studio 2008 R2 Academic
    - Visual Studio 2008
    - BASIC Stamp Editor v2.4.2

Hardware:
    Boe-Bot model 28118

The problem:
    I cannot seem to communicate with the Boe-Bot at all, and it seems the problem starts with the BS2 interface code (BoeBotControlForMsrs.bs2). According to the Parallax manual the LED attached to P15 should blink twice after it's been programmed, but it does not. I've tried several versions of the interface code, including from Parallax and from ProMRDS (I got the book too, btw).

I have also tried compiling and using the examples from ProMRDS. Everything compiled succesfully and I got no service errors, but the actual code from VPL never gets executed - that is, I don't see anything happening, so I'm assuming the problem is with the interface code.

There is also another option I've been thinking about. I've read about several 'versions' of the Boe-Bot. I managed to get the 'version' I have out of a dusty archive here in college, which appears to be the first model. Maybe this model is not compatible with MSRS and the interface code? Would that be the problem, e.g. that I need 28132 for this to work, which appears to be the latest model?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Edited by XiphNL Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:09 AM got academic, not standard :)
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:05 AM

Answers

• If you are not using Bluetooth, I think (if I can remember back that far) that you might not be able to get the code to work easily. The serial port on the Boe-Bot is used for downloading and debugging, but it is not programmed the same way as the Bluetooth module. So the BoeBotControlForMsrs.bs2 program will not work unless you change it. There are DEBUGIN and DEBUG commands in PBASIC that might possibly work, but I have never tried them.

The USB-to-Serial converter should not be an issue. If you connect using COM3 and can download data then that sounds like the correct COM port.

Trevor

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:09 AM

All replies

• Okay, I managed to get the BS2 demo code working that makes the Boe-Bot drive forward, backward and all that, as well as the BoeBotControlForMsrs.bs2 file. That is, the LEDs attached to P15 and P16 blink twice, and I get a beep, like stated in the manual.

However, I still have trouble getting the demo code working included in the ProMRDS package (for example the 'BasicStamp2' Visual Studio project) or any other demo code I could find on the net. It compiles just fine, but nothing happens :(.
    • Edited by XiphNL Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:08 PM typo
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Have you checked that you have the correct COM port?

I have not tried one of the new Bo-Bots so I can't say for sure whether the ProMRDS code works or not, but I think it should.

Trevor

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:32 AM
  • I have changed the line '<SerialPort>x</SerialPort>' to use the correct port (COM3 in my case, so I filled in '3') in the following files:

Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008 R2\config\parallax.boebot.config.xml
    Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008 R2\config\parallax.motorirbumper.config.xml

The latter wasn't mentioned in the ProMRDS book if I recall correctly, but I figured that one would need to be changed as well.

The BASIC Stamp Editor auto-detects on which port the Boe-Bot is connected, and it showed COM3, so I can be sure it is really connected to that port.

I'm using what appears to be the very first Boe-Bot version (though I'm not using the Bluetooth card). Also, although perhaps unrelated, I'm using a Digitus USB-Serial converter with an FTDI FT232BM chipset.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:40 PM
  • If you are not using Bluetooth, I think (if I can remember back that far) that you might not be able to get the code to work easily. The serial port on the Boe-Bot is used for downloading and debugging, but it is not programmed the same way as the Bluetooth module. So the BoeBotControlForMsrs.bs2 program will not work unless you change it. There are DEBUGIN and DEBUG commands in PBASIC that might possibly work, but I have never tried them.

The USB-to-Serial converter should not be an issue. If you connect using COM3 and can download data then that sounds like the correct COM port.

Trevor

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:09 AM