none
VSTO Outlook Button - Can you add a dynamic image or display a count RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way with a custom Outlook button that I develop to either display a count or dynamically change the button image?  What I am envisioning is like Facebook notifications on your phone.  It will display a number in a red circle on the app icon.  Another example is your mail app icon on your phone.  

The reason I ask about dynamically changing the button image is that if this is possible I would create multiple bitmaps of my button but each instance will have a number on it and then I would swap it out accordingly.  

I know I could probably just create a rule and filter the mail to that folder and turn on count but i am researching options in the event there is something that provides more visibility to emails I am trying to track.  

Saturday, July 28, 2018 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hello lan Codova,

As far as I know, Outlook button control does not support such customization. And I'm wondering why you need display a count on a button. Where should the button be put and what will be count?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ian Cordova Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:22 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hello lan Codova,

As far as I know, Outlook button control does not support such customization. And I'm wondering why you need display a count on a button. Where should the button be put and what will be count?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ian Cordova Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:22 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Thank you for the reply.  

The business case is that we are trying to parse the body text of an email that comes from a specific sender and a phrase in the subject line.  These emails may contain text that require the intended user to act on.  It may also just be informational.  

Currently I am looking at VSTO and wiring up the ItemAdd event so that I can receive an instance of the email coming into the Folder.  I can then parse the text to find the comment that I need.  

As I mentioned in my original post, I can probably just create a new folder and new rule and copy the email to that folder.  Also I can turn on the count to that folder.  

But in regards to the "Can it do" question, I was looking to see if I can add a button to the Home ribbon and that button will show the count of emails they need to review.  This way there is a visual on the ribbon versus the folder.  The count will be the number of emails that contain the specific text that requires action or is just FYI.  Assume a form will be opened up on click of the button to display the emails and information about each.   Does this help?  

Monday, July 30, 2018 6:56 PM