none
What does status "in progress" mean on SharePoint Tasks? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am new on SharePoint and I want to know what does the satus "in progress" mean on SharePoint Designer 2010 Approval Workflow's Tasks, because tasks begin with status "not started" and any option the user choose will set the status to "completed". But recently I found in the task list some tasks with status "in progress" and I don't have idea why they took that status.

Could some of you clear my mind? Thank you.

Monday, October 13, 2014 2:48 PM

All replies

• after a workflow is started  it shows in progress if the workflow is under process of approval towards completed .

if you have a sequential workflow and if the for workflow is waiting to be approved it shows in progress .

And once the task is complted it shows completed .

Monday, October 13, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Hi Sandeepallu, thank you for your answer but I am not talking about workflows but tasks. I understand that when workflows start and before finish they get "in progress" status but I do not know in what case a task would get an "in progress" status. Below a picture of what I am talking about:

Monday, October 13, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that some items of the task list display “In Progress” in the status field.

One of the reason is that the workflow has not been completed, it is under process of the approval or waiting someone approve.

If that’s not the case, the reason may be that the task has been got locked and you will not be able to proceed further.

These locks are placed to prevent the task being updated simultaneously.

The workflow runtime locks tasks by setting a field (WorkflowVersion)and persisting that to the database.

if workflowversion is 1 then the tasks are "not locked". Any value apart from "1" symbolizes that these tasks are "locked".

Ideally to remove the locks, we need to update WorkflowVersion of the task to "1".

We can unlock SharePoint Workflow Tasks With C# or PowerShell.

Please refer to: http://ehikioya.com/unlock-sharepoint-workflow-tasks/

More information

How to unlock the locked tasks in SharePoint Workflow:

http://technerdiez.blogspot.in/2011/08/how-to-unlock-locked-tasks-in.html

Thanks & Regards,

Jason

Jason Guo
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:28 AM
  • Hi Jason and thank you for your help. In my case all tasks are in "Not started" status when they are created by the running workflow, so they (normally) keep that status even when the workflow have not been completed.

About the lock, I don't know how to check if the workflow locked these tasks and why.

PD:I was looking the version history of the tasks and I found something else, those tasks in "in progress" status where "modified" by the same user in differente dates. The history just says that the status was changed from "not started" to "in progress". But I don't understand how an user could change the status when even the administrators can not change it.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:08 PM