Enumerate nearby unpaired Bluetooth LE devices

Question

• Hi!

I'm currently developing and app that needs to find all nearby Bluetooth LE devices and show them to the user. The Bluetooth LE Devices have not been paired with the user's phone. Is it possible to do this? I've been trying with:

DeviceInformation.FindAllAsync

But no luck! I'm using a Windows Phone 8.1 Cyan device with Bluetooth LE support. The fibit app seems to be able to discover nearby unpaired wristbands.

Thanks!

Friday, August 29, 2014 1:20 PM

Answers

• This scenario is not available. However, you can link to the Bluetooth settings by using a protocol. Please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/dn741261.aspx

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, September 05, 2014 2:37 PM

All replies

• As far as I am aware, there is no way to find/pair with unpaired BT devices inside the app - you must pair with the device in the settings first.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Thank Matt!

Unfortunately pairing the device first through Settings is not an option in the scenario I'm developing.  Could you escalate this to find out if the fibit app is using a private API to achieve this? Or if they are using a public API? 

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:23 PM
  • I'll ask about this.

Thursday, September 04, 2014 5:17 PM
  • This scenario is not available. However, you can link to the Bluetooth settings by using a protocol. Please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/dn741261.aspx

Friday, September 05, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Thanks Matt! Hopefully this will be possible in future versions of Windows Phone.
    Sunday, September 07, 2014 6:21 PM