Installing Windows 8 on VM platforms

Question

• Its pretty bad show how difficult it is to install this on VM platforms.  I have been trawling about the hinternets today and ended up having to download VMware Workstation 8 to get it to work.  I normally run VMware 7.1.x but had to upgrade (cost !) to get Win8 installed.

Something in the release notes or blog would have helped greatly before we make the plunge to a physical machine.

Didn't work on VMware Workstation 7.1.x or Vbox latest build...... or apparently Virtual PC either...

Must say it works great on VMware Workstation 8 though !

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• You are right... I spent hours today trying to figure out how to install Windows 8 on Windows Virtual PC, VMWare Player and Oracle VirtualBox. Finally I could it make it work only with VMWare Workstation 8.0

Thanks to Workstation 8.0. If anyone else is searching for the steps to install Windows 8 on VMWare Workstation, here you go!

• Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:48 PM
  • I ran into only one issue while trying to install it on a VirtualBox machine.  It got the following error:

---------------------------------------------

:(

Your PC ran into a problem that it couldn't

handle, and now it needs to restart.

You can search for the error online: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (storachi.sys)

----------------------------------------------

It looks like this error is the new BSOD.  Adding emoticons only lightens the mood slightly...

I switched the hard drive from a SATA Controller in AHCI mode to an IDE Controller and it installed perfectly.  I'm guessing this has something to do with it not having all of the drivers included natively.  I would think that ACHI drivers would be included natively especially for all the new hardware that Win8 will be used on but who knows. 

Hope this helps though guys.

• Proposed as answer by austin.greca Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:06 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:59 PM
  • I have it running great on VirtualBox with the latest edition. All default settings. It seems pretty hit or miss, though, as there are plenty of others that can't get it running. Unfortunately, I can't get the VB device driver to install, so no widescreen resolution for me.
    Dustin Harper dharper@mstechpages.com http://www.mstechpages.com --- Windows Help and Support Page
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:19 PM
  • It installed flawlessly on Hyper-V.  Though mouse over the start button is flakey at best.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Hello,

Steven Sinofsky has a new entry in the Building Windows 8blog that has some good information:

Running Windows 8 Developer Preview in a virtual environment

Thanks

Michael
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:12 PM
    Owner