Application validation did not succeed RRS feed

• Question

• I need to install some PE's on one of my machines. The applications work in debug and release mode on another development computer. This particular app is in fact ImageMaster. I published it, using for assembly signing default ImageMaster_ TemporaryKey.pfx file. The setup file was generated and I copied it and tranfered the hole folder to the other machine with the resulting error.

What is the procedure of validation? Shall I generate an snk file instead with sn.exe? Will it work better or I have to purchase a security certificate to make it work? My needs are modest: I want to use this file on only one machine, perhaps two locally, no web connection, it is off-line PE.

I want to keep this machine clean, not to install any development packages like VS2008 or 2010 or whatnot. They clutter the registry and slow the execution down.

OK, I just tried to publish with an snk file but got the same error even though I tried to deploy on the same machine where it was generated (development computer).

Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [12/16/2009 1:00:19 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (RefDefValidation)
      - Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly ImgMaster.exe.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.ProcessDownloadedFile(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.DownloadModifiedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

Thanks.
    AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:04 PM
  • It does not work either way. This link recommends using the setting Create application without manifest which actually was my default in the first place. Then I changed it to Embed manifest with dafault setting and got the same error.
    AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:13 PM
  • OK, I discovered what seems to be the root of the problem. There is this error message:

This CA Root certificate is not trusted because it is not in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store.

How to install it in that store?

Continue my investigation.

AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Hi Alex:

How are you?

You can import that, I think!
    And then choose custom path, this might allow you to install it on that root certificate in the Windows Certificate Manager.

What do you want to do with manifest?

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hi again:

I meant this:

Certificate Import Wizard
    Figure A: Install a certificate in Windows, and provide custom certificate store path.

For further reading:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/library/cc758128(WS.10).aspx

I hope this helps...

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Thanks, I think I just did it even before I read your post but got the same error. I embedded ImageMaster_TemporaryCertificate.pfx file into Personal Store.

Thank you coder24 for taking care of my problem. Yes, I used CertMgr.exe from SDK.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bin

AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I embedded ImageMaster_TemporaryCertificate.pfx file into Personal Store.
    AlexB

embedded, you mean imported or installed?

Anyway, that's seems like a interesting problem.
    Have you checked the *.pfx file itself, I mean if there is something wrong with it?

Also: How did you write the manifest xml code?

Please post the manifest.

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Perhaps it is the issue of not having a good certificate? What would be the proper cert anyway?

Thanks.
    AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Try with another *.pfx file, and see if the problem occures.
    Also, please, post the manifest data here.
    Coder24.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:00 PM
  • What is the exec to generate pfx files?

Thank yiou much.

AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:04 PM
  • You can do that from Visual Studio project properties.
    Choose signing tab and make your choices there.

or manually run the

makecert.exe

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bfsktky3(VS.80).aspx

Coder24.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:09 PM
  • OK, this is what I did:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bin>makecert.exe -sk imageMaster.p
    fx  -pe -ss personal
    > Succeeded

Now, I presume the cert is in the store but what is next? I could not find the .pfx file anywhere.

AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Well, I geberated a cert. It was successful. Then I tried to embed a cert (not necesserily that one-I could not find that) into the app again. Every time I go thru the motion the install fails.
    AlexB
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:11 PM
  • strange, very strange.

Did you try to make a cert *.pfx file using Visual Studio signing page?

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:01 PM
  • I think I did, although don't recall clearly. I made so many trials yesterday. As usual overnight before I go to sleep I scan all my actions and in twilight good thought come to mind. I think the failure is because I used ImageMaster for that. It is possible that the designer already embedded a manifest in it which I did not check.Iin this case there will be a conflict.

As usual I am running twenty things concurrently and if one of them fails I switch to other areas of the same project. I will get back to the issue next week trying other application because I will definitely need those. ImageMaster was sort of an icing on the case since I can use PowerISO46.exe for the same purpose.

Thus I am no closing the thread. I shall return:)

Thanks.
    AlexB
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:00 PM
  • OK, Fisnik. I tried another application, the most important one and it installed without a hitch. I still was unable to run it bec ause it depends on Sql Server netwkr storage Db and although I installed Sql Server, still cannot attch that DB but everything seems to be working perfectly well.

Thanks much for your help.

AlexB
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Wonderful, that this is finally solved.
    However, regarding the attachment of the DB,
    you need to manually attach that to the SQL Server
    also you need to move the *.mdb file to

the SQL DATA directory, and then add it to the SQL Service
    using the Microsoft SQL Management Studio Express.

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik 
    Coder24.com
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Well, this was a wild idea. I know how to copy DBs and attach them. I've done it many times. What I tried to do was to have a network DB in a way. In other words, I have DBs located on three external hard drives attached to one machine locally (DATA, LOG and BACKUP disks) and I wanted to access them from another machine pretending that it was a network DB. I was explained by an Sql Servr person that ist is impossible. Indeed there are no options to attach a network DB in any of SSMS dropdown boxes or tabs. I was explained that the way to go is to have a copy of db locally and use Replication to synchronize them and this is what I intend to do, so I am waiting for equipment to arrive (Enclosure, SAS controller and hard disks) to set it all up. This is what I meant by not being able to attach a DB.

But I am haoppy PE are available, it is a great relief for me.

Thanks.
    AlexB
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Fisnik, do you know how to force the setup for PE generate a desktop link when installing the application?

Thanks.
    AlexB
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay!

Well, make a *.bat file that executes itself and enter some commands
    to become executed, and then it might generate a PE.

Merry Christmas...

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.comy
    Friday, December 25, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Check this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384246.aspx

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com