none
Calculate the price per database RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone please help in analyzing the best tier/model for Azure SQL Database?

I have a SQL on-prem server. I have 2 databases

Database1: 2.5 TB

Database2: 1 TB

with the help of DTU calculator recommended that the load requires 11603 total  standard eDTUs for the pool

and S7 for single database.

But I cannot go with Standard because there is a db limit of 1 TB

and if I want to go with eDTU of 11603, I cannot do that because standard has only max of 3000 eDTUs

so how do i go about choosing the proper tiers? 

Thanks!

Monday, September 9, 2019 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you strict to DTU Model ? or Vcore model is also fine with you ?

Azure Hyperscale is one of the latest feature released by Microsoft Azure supports upto 100TB Database size which would highly fit your need. But this model is only available in Vcore Pricing Model but not DTU's.

However, you may see some of the limitations in Hyperscale - Ref - Below Link for full details.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-service-tier-hyperscale#known-limitations

Let me know if you need any further information. Hope this is helpful !!

Thank you

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:25 AM
  • Can anyone please help in analyzing the best tier/model for Azure SQL Database?

I have a SQL on-prem server. I have 2 databases

Database1: 2.5 TB

Database2: 1 TB

with the help of DTU calculator recommended that the load requires 11603 total  standard eDTUs for the pool

and S7 for single database.

But I cannot go with Standard because there is a db limit of 1 TB

and if I want to go with eDTU of 11603, I cannot do that because standard has only max of 3000 eDTUs

so how do i go about choosing the proper tiers? 

Thanks!

Good day <?!?>

IMO no one can advice you (no one should advice you) or tell you which tier/model fit your needs based on this description only, since we do not fully familiar with your system. Your description might help to filter what you cannot use but not what you should use.

Selecting a tier should based on how you use the data as well as what the data is, but we have no idea how you use the data.

• Using the DTU model: Obviously if the data you want to store is more then 1 TB then you must choose a pricing tier p11 or above - limitation of size.
    • Using the Elastic Pool (EP) which you mentioned show that you do not understand this service since it never fit less then 3 databases even in theory. eDTU cost 1.5 more than DTU and it provide advantages only for multiple databases which do not have high activity on the same time and they fit for sharing resources environment.
    • Using vCore model Compute tier Provisioned Generation 4: 2 vCore is the min for the smaller DB and 6 vCore for the bigger database
    • and so on...

You can go to the portal and simply check all option and scroll the size untill you find the smaller option that fit your data, but next you will need to think about HOW DO YOU USE THE DATA.

Note: Above based on the size assuming that this is the DATA size. Are you sure that your data size is more than 1TB or maybe this size includes empty space and log data...

Selecting tiers is directly related to HOW you use the data. For example I mentioned Elastic Pool. Another example is the Serveless tier which automatically pauses/resumes the database if it is inactive/active for the time period specified...

When you select a tier you should not think about migrating the architecture but migrating the databases, and design the databases according to the tier and not vise-versa!
    check the following recording at second 1991 when I show a real scenario which everyone (including from Microsoft and Microsoft MVPs) told the client that this does not EP, and yet with a small trick I show them that they can save moire the 90% of the resource using if they move the EP!

https://youtu.be/ri_M5sgEKD0?t=1991

>> so how do i go about choosing the proper tiers?

• Choosing a tier requires a full understanding of your system architecture, way it is used, needs, and more - This cannot be done in the forum! 
    • Choosing a tier requires a full understanding of the options available for you - this is technical information which we can give you in the forum, but much simpler to open the portal and check it directly.

I recommend to find someone who fit both requirements (can be external consultant who learn the system, or internal employee which familiar with your system and can learn about the Azure options), and make sure he can think outside the box and design the system well according to the choice you made

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:58 AM