Oracle SQL Developer with SQL Server Express 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to use Oracle SQL Developer, as modeling tool for my SS DB, but I'm not  able to configure a connection with my SS Exp 2016.
    Some help?
    Thanks.

Monday, August 1, 2016 2:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Francesco Cavalli,

Based on my test, it could be done by using the following steps:
    1. Find out the port(s) your SQL Server currently listening by follow the steps in this blog.
    2. Download latest jtds from here. Then add it to your SQL Developer by clicking “Add Entry” button under SQL Developer\Tools\Perferences\Database\Third-Party JDBC driver.
    3. Now you should able to see sql server tab in new database connection window. Specify your username/password and hostname/port here to connect to your sql server. I’ve successfully connected to a SQL Server 2016 instance during my test. 
    4. Note that if you wish to use windows authentication from SQL Developer, please follow the steps here to enable it.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin
    Monday, August 1, 2016 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Francesco Cavalli,

Based on my test, it could be done by using the following steps:
    1. Find out the port(s) your SQL Server currently listening by follow the steps in this blog.
    2. Download latest jtds from here. Then add it to your SQL Developer by clicking “Add Entry” button under SQL Developer\Tools\Perferences\Database\Third-Party JDBC driver.
    3. Now you should able to see sql server tab in new database connection window. Specify your username/password and hostname/port here to connect to your sql server. I’ve successfully connected to a SQL Server 2016 instance during my test. 
    4. Note that if you wish to use windows authentication from SQL Developer, please follow the steps here to enable it.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin
    Monday, August 1, 2016 3:32 AM
  • I find the best answer from Oracle forum (Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle): 

you might need to get a copy of ntlmauth.dll and copy it to your sqldev/bin directory

Oracle ACE Director Kent Graziano talks about that on his blog here

https://kentgraziano.com/2013/01/14/tech-tip-connect-to-sql-server-using-oracle-sql-developer/

Monday, August 1, 2016 4:57 PM