64 bit PC trying to compile to 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

• As an beginner, I am following MS's tutorial to use database in my address book program.

I downloaded Visual Basic 2008 and am running it on a 64 bit PC using Vista 64.

All is straight forward until I try to run it.

The error message points out that

the Target CPU option in the Advanced Compiler Settings must be explicitly set to x86

When I go to the compiler properties (advanced), I do not see an option to set it to 32 bit.

Any help appreciated

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:54 PM

Answers

• The options are in the build menu and what is available depends on the edition so maybe Express does not come with build options and I think Standard comes with only one option.  But you can add and remove the options based on need and Team Suites comes with x64, AnyCPU and x86.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Team Suites is the most expensive edition of VS2005/8 makes cross platform development and team development easy and targeting is just another build option.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts2008/products/bb991841.aspx

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:30 PM

All replies

• The options are in the build menu and what is available depends on the edition so maybe Express does not come with build options and I think Standard comes with only one option.  But you can add and remove the options based on need and Team Suites comes with x64, AnyCPU and x86.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Can you explain what Team Suites are ?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Team Suites is the most expensive edition of VS2005/8 makes cross platform development and team development easy and targeting is just another build option.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts2008/products/bb991841.aspx

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Many thanks for your answer.
    I had a look an my Wife's PC which has Visual Studio installed.
    The option to select the processor is available on it.
    This option does not exist in the Express version

As I was only trying out VB express, I will just use her PC if I go any further with VB.
    Thanks again
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:00 AM