Shedding Light On Cryptic Windows 8.1 Acceptance Test - Build Error RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me what this message means? It's obvious that whomever wrote this message needs a course in usability & direct communication?

The resource map or named resource has an item that does not have default or neutral resource.

I suspect it is related to some new windows 8.1 image required type that doesn't have a default setting, but since it doesn't just say that directly I have no clue. I added the two new required tile sizes.

Would be awesome if there error said:

"You are missing an image resource for type X - and you need to create this and add it by clicking on your package manifest in visual studio 2013."

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:27 AM

Answers

• Can you provide more context? Where and when do you get this message?

It sounds like a localization error where the app has a resource in a secondary language but not in the default language. Make sure you don't have an extra or misspelled resource in one of the satellite files and make sure you don't have any files or folders which may be misdetected as language resources: avoid short directory names which can be mistaken for language tags.

See Globalizing your app for more information on globalization and resources.

--Rob

Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:41 PM

All replies

• Contact me here and I will take a look at your project and enlighten everyone!

http://blogs.msdn.com/jpsanders/contact.aspx

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Can you provide more context? Where and when do you get this message?

It sounds like a localization error where the app has a resource in a secondary language but not in the default language. Make sure you don't have an extra or misspelled resource in one of the satellite files and make sure you don't have any files or folders which may be misdetected as language resources: avoid short directory names which can be mistaken for language tags.

See Globalizing your app for more information on globalization and resources.

--Rob

Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:41 PM