Does the remote debugger allow expression evaluation?

Question

• I get the following error when trying to watch any expression:

"Internal error in the expression evaluator"

This is the case for two different remote machines (Surface RT and an AMD CPU box).  I usually use remote machines just for evaluating the performance of apps, not for debugging, so I do not remember whether the evaluation worked before I updated the remote debugging tool to Remote Tools for Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC.

Could anyone share the experience of watching expressions using a remote machine? 

Hong

Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may be running into a bug with the RC.  Can you please post screenshots of the problem?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 18, 2014 12:06 PM
  • Here is the screenshot:

I am still wondering if others using the latest remote debugger have the same problem. 

Hong

Friday, April 18, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Do all expressions fails in the same manner?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 18, 2014 1:18 PM
  • Yes, nothing can be evaluated as long as a remote machine is used for debugging.  Again, I am not sure this is new after the update. I used remote machines before the update, but usually for observing app performance, not watching any expressions. 

Hong

Friday, April 18, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Hi Hong,

Yes the remote debugger should support expression evaluation.  Can you please file a bug, the easiest way to do this is using the Visual Studio Feedback tool http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/563d1003-f0ed-498f-8ef9-f8ee1aac39fe

Friday, April 25, 2014 10:34 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation.  I have a quick question out of curiosity.  My VS2013 has the following at the top right corner:

What is the difference between "Report a Bug" there and the Visual Studio Feedback tool you mentioned?

Hong

Friday, April 25, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Sorry, I did not realize that the "Report a bug" was there without the feedback tool. For the purposes of this that will do the same thing. The feedback tool adds additional data collection capabilities, but for the purposes of this that should not make a difference
    Friday, April 25, 2014 11:00 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Andrew.  I will do in VS.  It will be my first time to use it. That is a neat feature which I noticed only recently.

Hong

Friday, April 25, 2014 11:09 PM