Xamarin 2.0 & Visual Studio, does it require an additional workstation allowance to be used? RRS feed

• Question

• User2665 posted

I noticed that my available workstation allowance for monotouch enterprise went from 2 to 3 computers. Is this because the new Visual Studio integration need one of these to work. (Currently trying to get this running but failing, so I don't know for sure yet).

If so, you might want to tweak this a little and make it 4 available. With monotouch and the 2 available activations, I had it installed on my office iMac and also my MacBook Pro - this allowed me to work from home on the MacBook Pro.

With Visual Studio integration, I'm running virtualized Windows through parallels on both the Macs and it looks like I will only be able to use the Xamarin tools in VS.net on the iMac OR the MacBook, but not both. Kind of a shame if this is the case, especially when you look at how much this costs per developer...

Thanks, Richard.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:32 PM

All replies

• User214 posted

Two options: - or they make it back 2 licenses per developer and do not count the Windows Workstation - or they make it 4.

For Android, the Windows activations make sense because you can use it to deploy to a device. For iOs, the Windows Workstation is an extra feature of the product, but not a deployment mechanism. You still need an activated Mac. Especially on Paralells, you end up having a Dekstop and Laptop with Parallels and then you would need 4 activations.

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:03 AM
  • User2665 posted

Yep, this is confirmed - you use an activation for the Visual Studio integration. This means I can use Visual Studio on my office iMac OR my MacBook Pro but not both when using windows virtualization on the same machine.

Can we get a comment from Xamarin on this - seems like if we're allowed to install Xamarin on 2 computers, there should be enough activations for using all of the professional tools on both computers.

(By the way - have been playing with the VS.net integration - WOW, LOVE it! Next step, come up with an XIB designer for Visual Studio and I will hand over my wallet!!)

Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:11 AM
  • User8 posted

Xamarin is licensed per developer, not per workstation. You can use a couple of computers with your license, as long as only one developer is using them.

If you're running out of activations, contact support@xamarin.com and we will take care of you.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:29 AM
  • User2665 posted

Fantastic nat, I will do that - thanks.

I do think though that for the Business edition though, you should think of doing a default of 4 activations at the time of purchase to cover this situation without having to contact you for an additional one.

Anyway, thanks for answering - I appreciate the response.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:57 AM