Updatable subscription views RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As far as I remember, MDS used to have the subscription views updatable.

Now - after the first cumulative update ? - they aren't (anymore).

1. Is there any change on the approach?

2. I need actually to have this in order to rapidly connect other UIs - such as SharePoint lists - and have full CRUD operations available. How can I achieve that?

Thanks, 

Marius
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:33 AM

Answers

• Subscription views have always been read-only.

To integrate SharePoint lists you could create an ADO.Net service wrapper for the MDS API on a specific entity and then use SharePoint BCS.  This is elegant but fairly complex of course.  Another approach is to have a custom table maintained by a SharePoint list and then use SQL / SSIS and MDS staging to get the additions/updates from the table into MDS.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:48 PM

All replies

• Subscription views have always been read-only.

To integrate SharePoint lists you could create an ADO.Net service wrapper for the MDS API on a specific entity and then use SharePoint BCS.  This is elegant but fairly complex of course.  Another approach is to have a custom table maintained by a SharePoint list and then use SQL / SSIS and MDS staging to get the additions/updates from the table into MDS.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Hi Val,

I have had loved something like ADO.NET/WCF Data Services, connected to the subscription views.... At least this would be still useful for the "R" part (of CRUD).
    For the updates, I may write a wrapper as you propose - to the WS API.

My problem is the performance: I already have the web UI struggling in some cases - after already "feeding" the data and app tiers with several cores & gigas of RAM. So I am afraid that if I use the MDS WS tier, I will have weaker perf - as there will be 2 service tiers. 

Can I have in mind the usage of the MDS SPs, as a direct replacement of the MDS WS tier?

Thanks,

Marius
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:16 PM