Sizing a metro app

Question

• I am building an internal metro application, and when I set page size (height and width) the app doesn't fit on the screen. Is there a way to set the actual app size?
    Friday, March 27, 2015 3:34 PM

Answers

• Don't set definite sizes for your pages. Let those properties be automatic so they will resize to the screen sizes of the user's devices. If you have a scrollviewer or panel or grid or whatever else container that you want it to auto adapt to any screen size, set horizontalallignment and verticalallignment to stretch.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 5:28 PM
  • Your app has no control over the screen size/resolution. You need to design like a webpage - make sure your content looks good regardless of the screen shape/size.

The page size will be whatever the user/device sets it to (e.g. fullscreen or halfscreen).

You can adjust to different screen states using visual states (e.g. re-arrange the layout when the user switches to portrait mode).

In general things should be laid out relatively.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:28 AM

All replies

• Don't set definite sizes for your pages. Let those properties be automatic so they will resize to the screen sizes of the user's devices. If you have a scrollviewer or panel or grid or whatever else container that you want it to auto adapt to any screen size, set horizontalallignment and verticalallignment to stretch.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 5:28 PM
  • Your app has no control over the screen size/resolution. You need to design like a webpage - make sure your content looks good regardless of the screen shape/size.

The page size will be whatever the user/device sets it to (e.g. fullscreen or halfscreen).

You can adjust to different screen states using visual states (e.g. re-arrange the layout when the user switches to portrait mode).

In general things should be laid out relatively.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:28 AM