none
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Help! RRS feed

• Question

• I need some help with an application we use on Windows CE devices we use. 

The devices are Juniper Allegro CX with windows .net 4.2 OS. 

The Problem we have is this:  

• The devices use approx. 4" TOUCHSCREENs in color and in monochrome.
    • What happens is this, with use the touchscreens fail and have to be disabled, via keyboard to begin, then disconnect ribbon cable finally.
    • Replacing these touchscreens is almost impossible to find as they are built into the face of the unit.
    • What we end up doing is using the KEYBOARD input for everything that the Application (Surveying) needs and is almost adequate, 

except for ONE Main Function or Dialog, that You Cannot Escape or Close! The Dialog is described as follows,

• There are only 4 Selectable Items within this dialog, and a Graphic windows that kind of shows "Proximity" of Field Conditions being updated.
    • Most every dialog in the software is navigatable via TAB through items and spacebar to select or toggle.
    • Within this Dialog:   Item 1 is a toggle and Works when you select  the space bar.
    • item 2 is a toggle check mark and cannot be accessed (tab will not leave focus from the first item).
    • Item 3 is Options with an underscore O that 'should be selectable via ALT 'O', but isn't, nor can you tab to it, -won't leave focus on item 1.
    • Number 4 is a CLOSE button on bottom Right of Screen, and this is where I Need Someon'e Help Badly! 

Without use of touchscreen, we cannot Find Any Way to Close this Dialog. We have tried Every Keyboard Key or Combination you can Imagine, Will Not Close! You can Alt Tab - End Task, and Close the Whole Application, but that is not an option.  Surely someone knows a KEY or Keys, an App, perhaps a macro or capture of a touchscreen pick on this Close Button via a unit that has working touchscreen (have).  If someone could Please Help Me to Close this Dialog I would be Forever Grateful.

• Edited by Bruce EitmanModerator Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:47 PM Added some whitespace to help make this readable
    Monday, February 19, 2018 10:14 AM

Answers

• Gripsz

The reality is this, you need to discuss this with the software vendor.  They will need to change the software.  It seems that they left off keyboard navigation.

If changing the software is not possible, then you need to purchase new devices, which Juniper seems to have.  Juniper may even have replacement display/touchscreens from retired devices - if it were me, I would ask.

Bruce Eitman
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Synopsys DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for Synopsys

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:54 PM

All replies

• Gripsz

The reality is this, you need to discuss this with the software vendor.  They will need to change the software.  It seems that they left off keyboard navigation.

If changing the software is not possible, then you need to purchase new devices, which Juniper seems to have.  Juniper may even have replacement display/touchscreens from retired devices - if it were me, I would ask.

Bruce Eitman
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Synopsys

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Cannot discuss software with vendor, software is no longer developed or supported.

Yes, Keyboard Nav is not available, that's the jest of my whole post.

Purchase of new devices would not help, same software installed on new device is fruitless - would not even be able to authorize/run. Juniper does not have replacements for the CX screens we contacted them. the only thing close to a solution we have found is buying a used CX with a working touchscreen. That's not really cost effective,(based on ebay prices) , since we have several of these units with bad touchscreens.

Only other option and I have tried, is to try to find some other vendor of the allegro devices hat would sell parts.

That's why I have asked here and other forums, it seems like Some Key or Program would initiate a Close Dialog command - the program is just sitting there waiting on a Close Pick or Call. Perhaps a recorded macro running in background that would simulate/initiate a screen pick.

like I said I have a CX with working touchscreen that could be used to record a macro, just don't know/cant find a macro program. Thank you for your response and help.

• Edited by Bruce EitmanModerator Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:39 PM Added whitespace to make this readable
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:53 AM
  • There are at least 3 of these on ebay right now for less than $200 as buy it now.  And more if you go a few hundred dollars more.  If that isn't cost effective, then this isn't important to your company - which is fine.  Your best option then is to throw the bad devices away and move on.

BTW, I was serious about the options that you have.  Your wishful thinking is admirable, but is wasting your time.

Bruce Eitman
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Synopsys

Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Thank you for your candor. Not knowing is why I asked, it just seemed odd that no action could close a running Dialog, so, since that's the case with Windows CE programming, i'll keep looking for touchscreen replacements. In reply to your observation of three devices on ebay at present under $200, not so. The reason being is one you looked at shows as untested sold as parts and no way to tell if touchscreen works. Other option(s) you saw, are Color Only Screens which have different size (smaller) screens than the monochrome units, also the motherboard connectors on color is different than monochrome -  I have already purchased these Color units from this vendor some time ago and they are completely working and will solve my issue with our Color units. I just need monochrome units or touchscreens at this point. About your commit 'If that isn't cost effective, then this isn't important to your company' what you drummed up on ebay is not what will work. And 'Your best option then is to throw the bad devices away and move on'  that's somewhat insulting since A.) I explained everything works except this one dialog, not exactly what I consider bad devices, limited in one aspect perhaps. And B.) you havent clue as to what a working unit with this Software is worth,  especially to companies that rely on this for their livelihood of multiple people, also everyone is Not interested in tossing working equipment to go buy and learn a new platform at significant cost and downtime. We are seasoned veterans in this field and what we use works and that's how that works. Lastly 'Your wishful thinking is wasting your time.' - perhaps, but who knows, you might not be the only person who can program or solve the question.

• Edited by Gripsz Friday, February 23, 2018 12:02 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:57 PM
  • There are certainly ways to find the Dialog class and send it a WM_CLOSE from another application. If that's what you are after then that is certainly possible. As long as you can run a secondary application in the background, the problem of simply closing the Dialog can be fixed.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
    Check out my blog: https://guruce.com/blog

GuruCE
    Microsoft Embedded Partner
    NXP Proven Partner
    https://guruce.com
    Consultancy, training and development services.

Interested in WEC on i.MX6?
    Get the only 100% stable and best performing i.MX6 BSP for WEC7 and WEC2013 here: https://guruce.com/imx6

Friday, February 23, 2018 9:52 AM