Grid lines on SSRS report RRS feed

• Question

• User-1548089223 posted

I've scoured the web trying to find how to turn on gridlines (cell borders for a report) using ReportViewer in Visual Studio 2012. The only information I really found was to click the column tab and then set the BorderStyle to Solid. Then click the row tab and do the same. I did this but it didn't have any effect when the report was rendered. Can someone please tell me how to turn on the gridlines/cell borders so that they show when the report is rendered and also when printed?
    Thanks

Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:59 AM

All replies

• User1975998971 posted

The grid lines are based upon the boarder style.  You should be able to select the cells you want to have a border and if you click the button on the ribbon on top or you can right click on a textbox in a tablix and choose Text Box Properties > Borders and make sure the settings are correct.  This should work fine, if you have a group and you choose to have the Outside Border chosen, it should outline all of the textboxes in the group.

Look at it in PDF to verify it is not showing, sometimes it is just the report viewer.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:41 AM
  • User-1548089223 posted

Yes, that's what I thought. I right clicked the textbox, chose Text Box Properties, Border. I then clicked the Outline toggle button. The Preview in this dialog showed the outline. In this dialog, Style was set to Solid, Width is 1pt and Color is Black. I clicked OK. In design mode in Visual Studio it shows the border but when I run the report in IE 9 it doesn't show the border for that text box. Also, exporting to Word it also doesn't show the border. I can't export to PDF at this time because a Microsoft hotfix causes it to have an exception when exporting to PDF. But, it should show the border in IE anyways. I've been looking at this for two days and just can't figure out why.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:56 AM
  • User1975998971 posted

What version of report viewer do you have installed?  What happens if you set it to compatibility mode in the browser?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:12 PM
  • User-1548089223 posted

If I'm not checking the version correctly, please let me know. I went into Help/About Microsoft Visual Studio and in there it showed SQL Server Reporting Services Version 11.0.3369.0. I also ran the report in IE and went under Tools/Compatibility View and the borders for the text box still did not show.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:35 PM
  • User1975998971 posted

How are you viewing the report through IE?  Is this through the report manager or are you looking at it through a web site or program?

If it is through a program you usually download a report viewer and add it to a program or website so you see the reports correctly.  It is a separate program you can download onto the same server that the program is stored on and it is free and can be downloaded from the web.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:57 PM
  • User1975998971 posted

You can also try the solution marked here for grid formatting to see if this helps:

Grid Formatting

Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:02 PM
  • User-1548089223 posted

I have an ASPX solution with some reports. I'm running the app and viewing the reports from within Visual Studio, not in debug mode but release mode (control + F5). This will be how my users will view it from the ASPX web site, through IE or another browser.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:35 PM
  • User-734925760 posted

Hi,

So far as I knowm if you want to set format for one control, you only need to right click the control, then select the property to set your format.

There are some articals, please refer to the links below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239396.aspx

http://ssrstutorials.blogspot.com/2012/10/lesson-10-formatting-ssrs-report.html

Hope it's useful for you.

Best Regards,

Michelle Ge

Friday, June 6, 2014 5:23 AM
  • User-1548089223 posted

Thanks, but I've already tried that and more. I've tried modifying the BorderStyle/BorderWidth for each control/textbox and also for the Tablix and even at the report level. But when the report renders in IE it doesn't show the gridlines/borders of the cells/textboxes.

Monday, June 9, 2014 11:46 AM