NVIDIA Graphics Driver Problem - HP TouchSmart 610-1190f - NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M

Question

• I installed Windows 8 developer preview on my HP Touchsmart 610-1190f but the display driver was not installed (NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M), I downloaded the driver from the HP website but it won't install, I set the compatibility mode to Windows 7 but the driver still wouldn't install. It keeps giving me the error: "Your computer does not meet the operating system requirement". I thought everything that worked with Windows 7 should work with Windows 8. Any help on how to fix this would be much appreciated.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:27 AM

Answers

• I happen to own a HP TouchSmart 300-1028 PC as my main PC. Just like you, I also face the typical driver issues. Just like any non-supported software, we the enthusiasts are fully aware of the inherent risks. Eventually I managed to make ALL of my existing hardware at least work in this Windows ‘8’ ‘Developer Preview’, though not without problems.

By default, the driver installers given by HP will check if you are running the supported version of Windows, for example Windows 7. Since Windows ‘8’ is not officially out yet, it is not considered one of the supported operating system. To avoid potential problems, the driver installers will prevent you from installing the drivers in non-supported operating system if they do not recognize the operating system that you are running. You can, however, bypass the validation process of the driver installers. Doing so is solely at your own risk as installing the wrong drivers may cause the system stop working altogether.

As it turns out, the driver installers given by HP are actually self-extracting archive. You can use the free open-source 7-Zip to manually extract the contents from the self-extracting archives without executing the validation process. Some of the HP driver installers actually also include another installer without the validation process. Some of the HP driver installers only include the installer with validation process; you will have to use Device Manager to manually locate where you extract the files from your HP driver installers.

I hope my information can help you. I’m sorry if you find what I wrote confusing. Yes, it is confusing.

• Marked as answer by Godwinium Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:17 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

• Try enabling the hidden windows7 feature?

http://it-ca.net/blogdylan/?p=194

If this doesn't work try installing the Driver trough Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/

Download it, make an account and press "check for drivers"

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Get the drivers directly from nVidia.  After they download, use the Custom Install option.  Check the box for Clean install.  Let it run and after it is done restart your PC.  This is what I did for my GFX Drivers and they are working perfectly.
    Regards,
    Alex T.
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP 2007-2011~
    Is this response helpful? If so, please consider clicking the green Vote As Helpful button for the benefit of future visitors with the same question.
    If this post provided a solution please mark it as the answer to help others. Thank You.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:05 AM
  • I did what you suggested but once I start the install, it does a system check and gives the error: "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware" and I've double checked and I downloaded the correct driver. What is going on here? Thanks for your help
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:47 AM
  • I don't know if this would be an optimal solution, but I switched my install to Test Mode and also turned off Driver Integrity Checking through bcdedit which allowed my nVidia driver from HP to install (GeForce Go 6150). Before doing this, it refused to install because the driver was originally written for Vista. The machine was unusable right after the install, and before a full restart (same black screen behavior mentioned below), but after a fresh boot, it worked.

It doesn't run perfectly, but when it does work, it works well. When it isn't working, on a clean boot, the single pixel reserved for the Windows UI at [0,0] displays (and is the correct color), but the rest of the screen is black, even though the mouse cursor is visible over the entire area of the screen. Since the UI doesn't render, restarting requires pulling the power (so Hybrid Boot doesn't have a chance to kick in) or using the power button with Hybrid Boot turned off and the power button behavior set to "Shut down". Sometimes I have to reset the machine a few times for the user interface to show, beyond the single pixel. 

This also solved another problem I was having where upon restart after Windows Updates were installed, before booting into the OS, it would "repair" itself to the factory default state, clearing all updates to Windows, drivers and any personal settings (like taskbar properties).

• Edited by studiochris Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:13 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:12 AM
  • I happen to own a HP TouchSmart 300-1028 PC as my main PC. Just like you, I also face the typical driver issues. Just like any non-supported software, we the enthusiasts are fully aware of the inherent risks. Eventually I managed to make ALL of my existing hardware at least work in this Windows ‘8’ ‘Developer Preview’, though not without problems.

By default, the driver installers given by HP will check if you are running the supported version of Windows, for example Windows 7. Since Windows ‘8’ is not officially out yet, it is not considered one of the supported operating system. To avoid potential problems, the driver installers will prevent you from installing the drivers in non-supported operating system if they do not recognize the operating system that you are running. You can, however, bypass the validation process of the driver installers. Doing so is solely at your own risk as installing the wrong drivers may cause the system stop working altogether.

As it turns out, the driver installers given by HP are actually self-extracting archive. You can use the free open-source 7-Zip to manually extract the contents from the self-extracting archives without executing the validation process. Some of the HP driver installers actually also include another installer without the validation process. Some of the HP driver installers only include the installer with validation process; you will have to use Device Manager to manually locate where you extract the files from your HP driver installers.

I hope my information can help you. I’m sorry if you find what I wrote confusing. Yes, it is confusing.

• Marked as answer by Godwinium Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:17 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:17 PM
  • That definitely worked for me. Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:17 PM