SQL Server Authentication When 2 Instances are on the same Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 Domains that don't have a trust between them, call them Domain A and Domain B.  There is a server on Domain A that will be used as a Database Server.  This Server has 2 network cards, one that connects to Domain A and the other to Domain B.  I am intending to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on the database server and then having 2 instances one for Domain A and the other for Domain B.  Domain B has no other connection to Domain A appart from sharing the same database server.  If I use Windows Authentication will Domain A use it's own Active Directory for authentication and will Domain B use it's own Active Directory for Authentication? or will Domain B try and Authenticate from Domain A's Active Directory.  The Database Server is a member of Domain A.  All servers are running Windows 2003 R2 with the AD Servers on the Enterprise Edition and the Database Server on Standard Edition.  If the AD is done from Domain A would I be better installing SQL Server 2008 R2 twice on the database server with one instance on each of the installation.  Or would I be better off using SQL Server for authentication?
    Monday, August 20, 2012 6:25 PM

Answers

• Please have some pointer :-

• You can have more than one network connectivity on one system but your system can be registered in one domain & can have only one hostname
    • If more than one domain network connectivity is there on system then users from both domains can access the system
    • SQL server can be access by users of both domains but SQL server names will be registered on domain on which windows servers is registered
    • Having different SQL instance for using diffrent domain users on same machine is not a good idea, having a more than 1 instance need analysis from CPU load, memory load  & disk utilization point of view

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Monday, August 27, 2012 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:10 PM

All replies

• To be honest, I don't know this, since I normally don't work with setting up servers. But my gut feeling says that this cannot work out. If the database server is in domain A, it should not trust connections from domain B. The one way you could have this machine to serves a database machine for both domains with Windows authentication, is to host a virtual machine which you make a member of domain B.

I also like to make the remark that Windows 2003 as an operating system has gone out of maintstream support.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Monday, August 20, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Please have some pointer :-

• You can have more than one network connectivity on one system but your system can be registered in one domain & can have only one hostname
    • If more than one domain network connectivity is there on system then users from both domains can access the system
    • SQL server can be access by users of both domains but SQL server names will be registered on domain on which windows servers is registered
    • Having different SQL instance for using diffrent domain users on same machine is not a good idea, having a more than 1 instance need analysis from CPU load, memory load  & disk utilization point of view

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Monday, August 27, 2012 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:10 PM