none
Horizontal vs vertical scaling

Question

• I read the site www.highscalability.com a lot (found this link in a thread on this forum - thanks to the guy who posted it).

They mention scaling out a lot, but talk about vertical vs horizontal scaling. What is the difference between the two? Also, can someone provide some good examples/scenarios where sharding may be handy?

Thanks
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Scaling horizantally means that you add more hardware to the box your system is running on, like adding more memory, and processors.

Scaling vertically is the act of adding more boxes to your solution and balance the load acrosse them., like a webfarm.

You do sharding when you need to scale the database server vertically and the database server software doesn't support scaling vertically escpecially doesn't have support for "shared one" scaling.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:48 AM
  •  GSS1 wrote:
    I read the site www.highscalability.com a lot (found this link in a thread on this forum - thanks to the guy who posted it).

Thanks

Thanks GSS1 for reading my response regarding highscalability solutions. 

BTW, I agree with Patrick's response regarding vertical and horizontal scaling.

Friday, October 24, 2008 6:21 PM
  •  Patrik Lowendahl wrote:
    Scaling horizantally means that you add more hardware to the box your system is running on, like adding more memory, and processors.

Scaling vertically is the act of adding more boxes to your solution and balance the load acrosse them., like a webfarm.

You do sharding when you need to scale the database server vertically and the database server software doesn't support scaling vertically escpecially doesn't have support for "shared one" scaling.

It isn't inverse ??  Sacaling on horizontal is add motre boxes, like webfarm and on vertical more hardware ...

Friday, October 24, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Yeah you are right of course. I got the directions mixed up. Vertical, up and down, horizontal, right to left Stick out tongue. Up and down is adding more hardware.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:28 AM

• You do sharding when you need to scale the database server vertically and the database server software doesn't support scaling vertically escpecially doesn't have support for "shared one" scaling.

Could you make this a little clearer? Also appreciate if you could differentiate between Sharding and partioning(Vertical? Horizontal? Across Server instances etc). Microsoft does not seem to e favor the word 'sharding'. Can you comment?
    mysorian
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:34 PM
  • it's actually the opposite of what you said.

check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability#Scale_horizontally_.28scale_out.29

• Edited by mjay2013 Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:29 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:28 PM