none
Excel 2010 with Windows HPC Service 2008 R2 - System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am attempting to accelerate a microsoft excel 2010 workbook on an HPC Server (2008 R2).  I decided to first run the model example Microsoft provides with the documentation (they use a file called ConvertiblePricing_Complete.xlsb).  I changed the pathways to proper directories and the HPC server has no problem accessing these paths.  I also set the Job Template to the appropriate cluster template.

Below is the error I run into, the process chokes when there are 4 or 5 cells left in the calculation.  They are different every single time.  I was able to get the workbook to run flawlessly on the HPC server when I reduced controlled the accessible nodes (reduced from 4 to 1 node, and it ran fully).  Of course, the whole point of HPC is to run the workbook on multiple nodes, not just one.  Can anyone shed some light as to why I am getting an error?  Does this have something to do with the scheduler not properly allocating the load, thus leading to an error?  Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

(Pathway omitted for privacy)

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi OneWhoKnocks,

Based on the exception message, it was occurecd on the third-party library. If you are using the third-party libary, I suggest that you get the official support from the vendor of the library.

If you are developing with the custom code, would you mind sharing the code you were developing?

>>Does this have something to do with the scheduler not properly allocating the load, thus leading to an error? <<

Did you mean that the Office automation was started by the task scheduler? As far as I know, the server side automation is not recommend, you can get more detail about this topic from link below:
    Considerations for server-side Automation of Office

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:02 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Thanks for your response.  The code I am using is from the test file provided by Microsoft:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2939

I'll look into this third-party library situation, as you suggested.  Thanks for the additional link ... once I do some further research, I will post a reply in this thread.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:30 PM