none
LINQ to DataSet in VB.NET 2005? RRS feed

• Question

• All--

Is it possible to use LINQ to DataSet functionality in VB.NET 2005 out of the box or do I have to install the May 2006 LINQ Technology Preview?  (We are not currently using VB.NET 2008 or 2010 for development and have no plans to move to either of those VS.NET versions--we are sticking with VB.NET 2005.)  I would like to write a simple LINQ query to select rows from a DataTable and do some simple aggregations.

TIA,

mattyseltz in NY

Matthew P. Seltzer
    Friday, April 15, 2011 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Mattyseltz;
    To your question:
    Is it possible to use LINQ to DataSet functionality in VB.NET 2005 out of the box or do I have to install the May 2006 LINQ Technology Preview?
    You will need to load the May 2006 LINQ Technology Preview to get any Linq functionality but remember that this is the 2006 Linq update that may of still had some issues and not all current Linq functionality are in it and I am not sure I would want to put that into production.

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    • Marked as answer by mattyseltz Friday, April 15, 2011 3:30 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Mattyseltz;
    To your question:
    Is it possible to use LINQ to DataSet functionality in VB.NET 2005 out of the box or do I have to install the May 2006 LINQ Technology Preview?
    You will need to load the May 2006 LINQ Technology Preview to get any Linq functionality but remember that this is the 2006 Linq update that may of still had some issues and not all current Linq functionality are in it and I am not sure I would want to put that into production.

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    • Marked as answer by mattyseltz Friday, April 15, 2011 3:30 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Hi, Fernando,

Thank you for replying so quickly.  This is the answer I was looking for.  Since it is probably not a good idea to use the Tech Preview bits in a production application, I will use a DataView to sort the contents of my DataTable in the order that I require.  I will then iterate over the rows and perform old-fashioned control break processing to do my summations.  It is crude but I am fairly sure that it will work, and the number of rows is fairly small.

Best,

mattyseltz

Matthew P. Seltzer
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Not a problem, glad I was able to help.

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:35 PM