Install BTS 2006 R2 Multicomputer Environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I going to install BTS 2006 R2 in a production multicomputer environment, 4 server just for biztalk, but no clustering, just in group

----Biztalk Group --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |       1 Inbound Server                  1 Processing Server               1 Outbound Server           |
    |                                                                                                                                    |
    |                                                  1 Spare Processing Server                                            |
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                    |
                                                                    |

----- SQL Cluster 2005 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |                                                                                                                                   |
    |                                                  1 Active Server                                                           |
    |                                                                                                                                   |
    |                                                  1 Pasive Server                                                          |
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. my task is install biztalk servers, the Sql Servers for DBA....
    Features that I dont need are BAM, BAS, SSO
    My questions are:
    1. What features I need install into Inbound Server and Outbound server?
    2. What features I need intall into Processing Server?
    3. Where I install de Master Secret?
    4. How I connect the 4 servers?

Thanks in advanced

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

3.  The master secret should be installed on SQL cluster.

I think you should install and configure all four servers identically and then control their functionality by creating host and host instances.
    A server in group are connected and share same BizTalk databases.

Regards,

Tariq Majeed
    Please mark it as answer if it helps
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

I see an issue in your diagram.  There is no spare server for Send or Receive for high availability.  Please see "Medium-Sized BizTalk Server 2006 Deployments" in the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578057(BTS.20).aspx.  Please see in "Installing and Configuring BizTalk Server in a Multicomputer Environment.doc" at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=df2e8a88-fb23-49a4-9ac7-d17f72517d12&displaylang=en for installation instructions.

Regards,

Tariq Majeed

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Tariq Majeed for you answers....

Yeah, the spare server is just for back up the processing server... I need that work in a Active / Pasive mode.

Im reading the Docs that you refer to me...
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:23 PM
  • I had installed the biztalk server group (not clustering).. I configured one server with the master secret and the other three I joined to the first.
    but still the master secret must be clustered?
    and Do I need install the IIS on all servers ?
    or just one
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

For high availability, it is good practice to install the Master Secret (clustered) on SQL server boxes and then join the BizTalk servers with that. Please see the article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560674(BTS.20).aspx) for better understanding of SSO.  Please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa704993(BTS.10).aspx for help on installing Master Secret in clustered environment.

Regards,

Tariq Majeed
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Ok. then the fact of config the first time the SSO when I created a new SSO sytem into Configuration screen where I assigned the SSO to SQLCluster1 this does mean that is configured in the SQLCluster2, doesnt it?

or Do I need to configure the SSO in the SQLCluster2, too?
    if the answer is yes then another question comes to my mind...
    the Databases of Biztalk need to be configured into the SQLCluster2, right?

How I do that?

thanks in advanced
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

I am not very good in clustering but one network engineer helped me when we configured SSO in our environment, so not sure how much help I can provide you. 

The steps are at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee251708(BTS.10).aspx.  The idea is that Master Secret is installed on first node (active).  Then it is installed on passive node (using the master secret already installed on active node).  The next step is to change the name of SSO from master secret server 1 to a clustered name.  Please see the steps 4,5 of article. Then configure the resource and parameters etc. The article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578185(BTS.20).aspx explains how to create cluster group, IP address etc.  At that point I and our network engineer were thinking that every thing will automatically be copied to passive and we do not have to do anything but this is not the case.  You need to copy the master secret to passive node using ssoconfig -restoresecret command. We did it almost a year ago, so I do not remember all the steps in exact sequence but every thing is mentioned in the above mentioned article.  May be someone who did it recently can help you better.

Regards,

Tariq Majeed 
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:21 PM