none
“is not a .NET module.” what does it mean ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using the beta 7.2 reflector, and when i'm trying to reflect some exe file (winforms application) i see this message. what does it mean ?

thanks

Monday, June 27, 2011 7:49 PM

Answers

• The exe has probably been processed by a tool that turns it into a non-pure .NET application.  This is done by many obfuscation tools specifically to prevent tools like Reflector from working on them.

By interleaving native code, some obfuscators break Reflector.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    • Marked as answer by igalep132 Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:48 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 7:56 PM

All replies

• The exe has probably been processed by a tool that turns it into a non-pure .NET application.  This is done by many obfuscation tools specifically to prevent tools like Reflector from working on them.

By interleaving native code, some obfuscators break Reflector.

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    • Marked as answer by igalep132 Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:48 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 7:56 PM
  • i've tried to spy it by spy ++ and it has been recognized as "WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.33c0d9d"

also i've "played" a little with the app and crashed it (this process was attached to the debugger) then i got standard .net exception but couldn't see the source code.

is there any way to reflect this exe or, it's a waste of time ?

also if you can advice some of those tools you've mentioned it will be grate.

thanks.

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Hi igalep132,

Visual Studio includes one of this tools named dotfuscator. You can find it under the Tool menu.

See Thwart Reverse Engineering of Your Visual Basic .NET or C# Code for more information about this topic.

You can also search ".NET source code obfuscate" at online search engines to get more results.

Best regards,

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Hi igalep132,

Visual Studio includes one of this tools named dotfuscator. You can find it under the Tool menu.

See Thwart Reverse Engineering of Your Visual Basic .NET or C# Code for more information about this topic.

You can also search ".NET source code obfuscate" at online search engines to get more results.

Best regards,

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thanks for the answer, but i couldn't find any "dotfuscator" tool under Tolls option.

Do i need to install it saperetly ? or it comes with VS ? (i'm using VS 2010 Pro edition)

thanks.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Dotfuscator won't actually break Reflector - it'll just scramble the contents.  (The community edition of Dotfuscator is an option you can install with Visual Studio...  It only does minimal obfuscation.)

If you want a tool that will make Reflector and other tools not open at all, take a look at .NET Reactor or SmartAssembly.  I suspect your assembly was locked with something like this.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:33 PM