none
xml file as datasource in a Word addin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I have built a simple case / task manager which is part of an MS Word addin. The cases and tasks are stored in an xml file (caseindex.xml) which the app simply loads as xelement every time the UI has to be updated or the user edits the case / task. Originally it was not supposed to work for more then one user, however, it worked without problems even if the caseindex.xml was placed on a local network server and accessed / modified by other users. However, as the file was growing in size, the downloads started to slow down Word itself which brought me to the question **what would be the best practice for this scenario, i.e. XML file as datasource shared by several users which may modify its content at the same time?** so that this would have no effect on the responsiveness of Word itself? The issues seem to be esecially separate thread, local copy and possible conflicts between modifications made by particular users???

Any advice would be highly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance.

Peter
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:22 AM

All replies

• Based on your description, your issue seems to be related with concurrency issues.

It is highly recommended to use database instead of xml file which will help us to handle concurrency issues.

Otherwise, you will need to write “merged” version of the data that will contain changes from multiple users. But in this way, it is hard to decide which version will overwrite other versions.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:53 AM