MDS Excel Add-In does not load RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the Excel Add-In for MDS. Every time I start Excel, I must re-enable the add-in.

File >> Options >> Add-Ins, etc.

Close and re-open Excel, it's gone. Must go through the gyrations again.

Frustrating that it won't stay loaded.

Anyone else seen this or know of a solution?

I have seen it happen on several different machines.

Todd C - MCSE SQL Server Business Intelligence MCITP BI Dev 2008 MSCTS SQL Server 2005 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:18 PM

Answers

• https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386106.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#LoadBehavior

3 means load at startup time.

That's the value we set during MSI setup. All the Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn should be underHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. So all the user on that machine can use the Addin, not matter if the excel is run as admin or not.

If it is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, I guess you have to run Excel as admin.

I am not sure how it got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The only code path I can tell is, if your machine have Office 2007 install, the addin will be registered in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I guess you don't have. I will try to repro with Office 64bit.

If you want to fix it now, you can
    1. Export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn node
    2. Import to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn node.

I don't think it will break anything, but if it does, you can simple delete the imported node.

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:17 PM

All replies

• Which version are you using? SQL2012 or SQL2014?

What's the Office version?

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:00 PM
  • SQL Version 12.0.2381 (SQL 2014)

Excel was recently installed from an Office 365 subscription so it is almost guaranteed to be the latest and greatest.

Todd C - MCSE SQL Server Business Intelligence MCITP BI Dev 2008 MSCTS SQL Server 2005 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:03 PM
  • I don't have the exact the same version of excel addin.

I tried download the msi with version 12.0.2468.0 from below link and installed on excel 2013 (Office 360, 15.0.4675.1003). It works fine.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42298

And I assume VSTO2010 is installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44074

What's the OS?

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Vincent:

Sorry for the delay. I did not get the notice that anyone had replied.

I have downloaded and installed the components from the links you provided. The add-in must still be re-activated each time I start Excel.

I have noticed this both on my local machine (Win 8.1) and a server in Azure (Windows Server 2012 R2 Latest). I also have a local Win 2012 R2 server with Excel and the Add-in appears to work just fine. What could be the difference?

Is there something in the Registry that must be set to keep the Add-In enabled? Thought I saw  a post on line somewhere.

• Edited by Todd C Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Found an answer here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2ccd6d4c-0902-4a92-8244-d3e5a1c1597b/master-data-services-addin-will-not-stay-enabled?forum=officeitpro

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Todd,

Which Office/Addin are you using? X64 or X86? And can you check the following four registry on your machine? 

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn\LoadBehavior
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn\LoadBehavior

3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn\LoadBehavior
    4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn\LoadBehavior

The loadbehavior should be 3.

In a x86 office and addin, only entry 1 should exist.
    In a x64 office and addin, only entry 2 should exist.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:13 PM
  • I applied this fix to a Windows 8.1 machine and it worked great.

Now I have a Windows Server 2012 R2, with Office 365 (64 bit) and MDS Add-in installed.

I have verified that item 4 is in the registry, and its value is set to 3.

I seem to recall that on my Win 8.1 box, I had item 2, not 4.

Should I manually add the missing item? Would it do any harm to have it?

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:31 PM
  • https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386106.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#LoadBehavior

3 means load at startup time.

That's the value we set during MSI setup. All the Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn should be underHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. So all the user on that machine can use the Addin, not matter if the excel is run as admin or not.

If it is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, I guess you have to run Excel as admin.

I am not sure how it got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The only code path I can tell is, if your machine have Office 2007 install, the addin will be registered in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I guess you don't have. I will try to repro with Office 64bit.

If you want to fix it now, you can
    1. Export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn node
    2. Import to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn node.

I don't think it will break anything, but if it does, you can simple delete the imported node.

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:17 PM
  • This was a fresh Azure VM created from a gallery image for SQL 2014 and Windows Server 2012 R2. There was no previous version of Office installed.

Would it possibly matter that I am NOT the one who installed Office? This is not part of a domain.

It was NOT in HKEY_CURRENT_USER on this machine, but I found it there on my laptop (with LoadBehavior = 1). That got changed to 3 and it fixed it for that machine.

Adding it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER did not fix it for this server.

BTW, it's 64 bit, but adding it to ...\Wow6432Node\... didn't fix it either.

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:45 PM
  • Todd, 

Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:13 AM
  • No, it is no longer an issue.

In the past, I have seen that immediately after editing the registry as suggested by Vincent Chen, and re-starting Excel, the add-in would be loaded.

On this particular machine, it took a server re-boot for the settings to take affect. Go figure.

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:20 PM