none
Issues with kernel debugging over network RRS feed

• Question

• In order to understand why I cannot connect to my target machine, I went around our QA lab and other developer and tested kernel debugging over network on 7 systems. On 3 of them I was able to make it work on 4 it didn't. All of them had NIC listed in the supported adapters here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn337009(v=vs.85).aspx.

When it does work, looking at network traffic we can see UDP packet be send from the target machine to the host every few second a part. Also open Device manager the NIC adapter has a bang mark.
    The network traffic on the port assign get a UPD packet every few seconds. One entry from wireshark is shown below:
    92 245.280167000 172.28.79.157 172.28.79.29 UDP 420 Source port: 50007  Destination port: 50007

When it doesn't work no traffic at all on wireshark.
    Open device manager the NIC adapter looks correctly installed no bang on it. 

Once I see UDP traffic from the target being broadcast running windbg will connect immediately. If not traffic of course nothing happen.

I have 2 machines with the same NIC controller one working one not. Here is what has been checked.

- Both machine have only one network adapter
    - Working is Dell Latitude E6430, NIC VID PID is  : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_05341028&REV_04
    - Not working is Dell Optiplex 790, NIC VID PID is: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_047E1028&REV_04
    - Verified I got latest network drivers. Identical on both machines.
    - Verified I got the latest Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
    - Updated to the latest BIOS on Optiplex 790. 

Of course the machine not working is the one I need. 
    Any clues why and how to fix the problem?
    Is the issue at the hardware level or BIOS or drivers/OS layer?
    What else can I try to make it work?

Thank you
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:59 PM

All replies

• What os version and architecture?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:16 AM
  • All the test have been done on Windows 8 most on 64 bits few 32 bits all Intel platform. I even tested 2 identical system (hardware wise) where one was working and not the other. I exchange hardware drive between the 2 systems. The problem follow the hard disk, it is a software configuration issue. I am planning to re-install the not working one and see.

If I can understand why sometime it works and sometime not and understand how to fix a broken system that would remove a lot of pain. I cannot re-install every system once it is not working, and the hope is that every system works on a clean installation, to be confirmed.
    Any input on how and what is installed to enable the debugging over network would be useful. Driver loaded, registry key modified, anything else that may help to troubleshoot further.
    If Microsoft could come up with a small tutorial how to uninstall and re-intall the components required to make it work that would be great.

Thank you

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:43 PM