none
Hyper-V VM can't ping VM host, but VM host can ping VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm a SQL DBA attempting to set up a Windows Server 2012 R2 lab at home.  I bought a new router and hooked it up, installed Server 2012 R2 demo OS on my machine (name "DC"), created a forest and domain, and set up Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP.  Everything appears to be running smooth.  I added the Hyper-V role and created 5 VM's, each with Server 2012 R2.

I added one of the VM's ("SQL-CORE") to the Computers group in Active Directory.  Then I attempted to add the VM host SQL-CORE to the domain, but it fails.  I know SQL-CORE can see the domain because DC's DHCP is passing it an IP address, subnet mask, and DNS server IP.  Furthermore, if I put in a bogus domain name when trying to add SQL-CORE to the domain, it fails immediately.  If I put in the proper domain name, it takes my domain login and password and waits a very long time before failing.  Event manager shows it as some sort of password error.

SQL-CORE can ping the DC, the router, and the web.  DC can only ping the router and the web, but it cannot ping SQL-CORE.  Where is my error?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.  I suspect the problem could be in DNS, but I'm sort of lost in there.  I just do what the websites I learn from tell me to do.

-Eric

• Edited by SQL Server dude Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:24 PM refine problem description
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:21 PM

Answers

• Answer: the problem was in DNS.  I had to create forward and reverse entries for every VM host as well as the DC itself.  I really have no idea what I'm doing in DNS, but I still managed to get a host connected to the domain.  This is the single greatest feat I have ever achieved...second only to flipping Donkey Kong twice.
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:19 PM