Please Improve the Error Response Message RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wonder why sometimes the error response message does not make any sense at all.

when I tried to update the bids, I came across this error "Server was unable to process request. ---> -1|0|System error. Please contact MSN Customer Support and refer to this error number: 1.|" . I didn't send this error to the MSN support. Instead I tried to figure it out myself and found out that the amount I have given was less than 0.10. The reason I didn't send this message to MSN is because When I was testing MSN at the first time, I keep on getting the error message "API Unauthorized Access Error". When I reported to MSN, I was told a lot of times my 'UserAccessKey' is correct and I sent them the request query and I was told that they ran the "exactly same query" there and it is working fine. I was wondering why and later I found out that instead of 'UserAccessKey', I used 'UserAccesKey' (misspelled it). So I really wonder can I believe when somebody says "ran exactly the same query and it is working fine ". It took 20 days to figure it out.

What I'm trying to say is it would be heaps better atleast the error response message is correct so that developers can figure out what is wrong exactly rather than sending MSN the error details.

Thanks,

Resh

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:11 AM

Answers

• Regardless of this specific support case, our errors are not very great. We are making a massive effort to improve them in our next major release... this is a good feedback point.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 6:29 PM

All replies

• I just mentioned the problem was keyword bid less than 0.10. But the problem is exactly if I don't pass the <keyword> element. Why???? WSDL showing this parameter is optional. But infact it is not. 

Resh 

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:27 AM
  • When we said "ran exactly the same query", we were using the correct SOAP request header without your misspellings. Without fully knowing your SOAP, it is difficult for us to reproduce. I have a XML Difference Tool that I use here (Microsoft XML Notepad), that had you submitted your SOAP via msnacapi@microsoft.com, we could have spared you 19.5 of those 20 days! I am working with development here to make available publically properly formed SOAP requests, in addition to the documentation returned via the WSDL's. This would enable you to find these subtle and hard-to-find differences between a successful call and one that fails.

As far as optional fields, please look here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1260612&SiteID=1

Hope this helps!

Jeff Dillon, Microsoft adCenter API Technical Support

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Jeff. I wish the documentation on the optional fields were available along with the specification.

About those 20 days I lost - I  did submit the SOAP via msnacapi@microsoft.com, but it didn't spare me 19.5 of those 20 days! Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll download the
    Microsoft XML Notepad now.

Rgds, Resh

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:09 AM
  • Regardless of this specific support case, our errors are not very great. We are making a massive effort to improve them in our next major release... this is a good feedback point.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 6:29 PM