Network Virtual Directory Shares Across Multiple Server RRS feed

• Question

• User-1914850765 posted

Hi.

Next problem now.  I have 5 servers.  I want to install a web service on a main server as a virtual directory, this folder is accessible across the netork.  I then want the 4 other servers on the same domain to point to the main servers virtual directoy / webservice.  e.g So I can call each individual web service that exists on each server.  If you get what I mean, basically the code is in one place but can be called from 5 different locations.

I get error :

Server cannot access application directory '\\server\D$\web\installer\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

Tried setting permissions or at least the wrong ones.  Shall keep digging.

Thanx in advance

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:48 AM

Answers

• User1071970124 posted

This is probably not the best way to do what you're talking about. You will want the ability to update the servers one at a time or all at once. If you deploy your service to a share, then you will have no choice but to update all servers at once.

Also, if you're going to do this, then you should deploy to a single share that may or may not be on any of the web servers. Then all of the web servers should point their virtual directories to that share.

Finally, you probably just have a permissions issue. Check the Security event log to see if you are receiving failure audits when the problem occurs.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:22 PM

All replies

• User1071970124 posted

This is probably not the best way to do what you're talking about. You will want the ability to update the servers one at a time or all at once. If you deploy your service to a share, then you will have no choice but to update all servers at once.

Also, if you're going to do this, then you should deploy to a single share that may or may not be on any of the web servers. Then all of the web servers should point their virtual directories to that share.

Finally, you probably just have a permissions issue. Check the Security event log to see if you are receiving failure audits when the problem occurs.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:22 PM
  • User-1914850765 posted

Hi.

Thanks for the response.  One of the main reasons is that we just want the ability to update one central location instead of maintaining it across several servers each time a change is made.  Also certain tasks are server specific, so we don't want the service running across the network to perform it's task, we want to call the service on the same machine the task/database is.  Im not sure this will work really.  Having the service on 1 server where all other servers link to this via the virtual directory/share, will the call run as if it was running from the server we call the service on (i hop you get what I mean)

I understand it may be a security issue but can't track it, tried for the time being giving complete access to the share folder, when I set up the virtual directory on each iis console, I supply a user/password to use to access the resource which is an admin account (for now) Can't see anything in the logs either, but will do another check.

Cheers

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:47 AM
  • User-1914850765 posted

Ok.

Seems it may be to do with configuring the machine.config file and specifying and account to use there in the <processmodel> section.  Im no guru but this has seemed to cure some of the errors I was getting.

Last error was :

Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Again, just for anyone else who was struggling.  If Im not back, look into this as a solution.

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:04 AM