none
Loading backstage ribbon along with a ribbon from visual designer RRS feed

• Question

• Alright I have a odd and particular question, my task was to create a backstage item in office 2010, the problem is that I am also trying to load this with an existing ribbon that I created in the visual designer. The reason why I want both is so I can persist data in the backstage while the main ribbon will call that data to load. 

I tried pulling all of the data into one giant XML file, but I want to be able to look at the ribbon in the designer and this doesn't work.

I did use this site:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386097.aspx, but alas it doesn't work for loading two ribbons, or at least one backstage and one regular ribbon, at one time.

So is there a way to load both separately, or can I view the XML ribbon in the designer or even create a backstage programatically with c#? Thank you.

• Edited by Berbies Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:05 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your honesty, I do appreciate it. I am actually working out creating two separate projects, and just having the backstage pass the information to the Visual Designer tab. It should work out for me. The reason why I need the Visual Designer one to remain in the Visual Designer and not converted to XML, is because this is a tool being used by other people, who want to add their own stuff, not the programmatic way, silly management.

Thanks again.

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:29 PM

All replies

• HI Berbies

<<So is there a way to load both separately, or can I view the XML ribbon in the designer or even create a backstage programatically with c#?>>

I'm afraid the answer is very short and concise: No, this can't be done.

About the only thing I can suggest is to maintain a second copy of the Ribbon part of the project, with the Designer. Work out how you want things to look, export to XML, then copy/paste the changed XML into your "real" project...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Thank you for your honesty, I do appreciate it. I am actually working out creating two separate projects, and just having the backstage pass the information to the Visual Designer tab. It should work out for me. The reason why I need the Visual Designer one to remain in the Visual Designer and not converted to XML, is because this is a tool being used by other people, who want to add their own stuff, not the programmatic way, silly management.

Thanks again.

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hi Berbies

OK, good luck with that :-) If you can get it to work and have a moment, it would be wonderful if you could stop by and confirm that, then we can mark that as the answer. I'm sure others will want to do the same thing, somewhere down the line, and that will help them.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi Berbies,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Do you have any update?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, November 14, 2011 8:26 AM