Recommended way to automate running of non-local UI tests RRS feed

• Question

• I've search for this for a bit but can't seem to find an answer. I have an app with a UI that we ported from VS03. We already have a UI test framework that works for us. Works fine when running locally, but we want to use Team System to allow for doing a build and running the tests. From some research it looks like the build process cannot instantiate any UI so what I need is something like :
    <Build Server > : Do a build and drop to a share

<Test Machine x> : Know when the build is done, copy binaries locally, run the tests

These aren't load test or web tests, just basic functional tests. Is this even something can be done in Team System? Any pointers on how to do it?

Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:12 PM

Answers

• You can do this with a load agent. Load agents not only enable scale-out load tests, but they can run any test type. And an agent can be configured to run on a desktop, which you need in order to test your UI. You use the test run configuration to specify which test controller to send your tests to (default is to run them locally), which ultimately will send them to a load agent. See the load test team blog articles on agent and controller for details. Note that load agents are licensed separately.

Ed.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:23 AM