Customize default toolbars set RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm configuring a Windows Server 2003 which will be accessed by multiple users via Remote Desktop (precisely Citrix architecture).

Each user will be allowed to use Visual Studio 2008, but I'd like to give them a personnalized toolbars' layout.

I did the layout configuration for one user and noticed it was stored in CmdUI.PRF (in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\1033 ).

But, each time a new user uses VS for the first time, it creates registry keys and configuration files, and erases CmdUI.PRF if I had mannually put it in the right place.

My aim is to find a way to set my custom configuration as the default one, or to avoid the setup script to erase my file.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thank you

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Tristan,

Thank you for your clarification.

More, I never get the Choose Default Environment Settings Dialog Box when I start VS for the first time in a new user account. My Visual Studio came with Intel Fortran Compiler 11 installation, maybe it has particular settings.

I'm not quite familiar with the Visual Studio came with Intel Fortran Compiler. It might have some specific settings.

As far as I know, by default, Visual Studio IDE doesn't support the configuration that you mentioned, which means you may resort to some add-in or macros to do the job.

For your concern, I think that you could post your thread on Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows forum since the Visual Studio comes with Intel Fortran Compiler. You will get more useful help there.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 12, 2010 6:41 AM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Tristan,

Thank you for your post.

For VS IDE, the active settings consist of two parts: predefined customizations from the installed .vssettings file that we selected the first time that we started Visual Studio and any subsequent IDE customizations that we have made.

Thus, the first time that we start Visual Studio 2008, the Choose Default Environment Settings Dialog Box displays and let us to choose the environment that we want. It's by design.

For your concern, you might try to create the personalized toolbar layout and export it, so that your user can load it.

To do this:

1. Click Import & Export Settings on the Tools menu.
    2. Click the "Export selected environment settings" option.
    3. Check the settings that you want to export. For example: Windows Layout
    5. Click Next and save the settings file (as .vssettings), then click Finish.

Then the users can load this settings file:

1. Click Import & Export Settings on the Tools menu.
    2. Click the "Import selected environment settings" option.
    3. Click the "No, just import new settings..." option.
    4. Click the Browse button and navigate to where you saved the .vssettings file.
    5. Click Open to open the file and then click Finish to load it.

For more information, you might refer to: How to: Share Settings Between Computers or Visual Studio Versions.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't work, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 8, 2010 10:22 AM typo
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 10:21 AM
  • Thank you for your answer,

Unfortunately, I don't want to let users do these settings, even just selecting which to import. I'd like Visual Studio to define my toolbars layout as the default layout. One of the reasons is to avoid administrator to manually configure new accounts. At least, the settings must be applied at first login.

Note that I have no problem in letting users personnalize their environment as they want. But there are some unexperimented ones that require simple toolbar layout to begin.

More, I never get the Choose Default Environment Settings Dialog Box when I start VS for the first time in a new user account. My Visual Studio came with Intel Fortran Compiler 11 installation, maybe it has particular settings.

Best regards.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Hi Tristan,

Thank you for your clarification.

I'm not quite familiar with the Visual Studio came with Intel Fortran Compiler. It might have some specific settings.

As far as I know, by default, Visual Studio IDE doesn't support the configuration that you mentioned, which means you may resort to some add-in or macros to do the job.

For your concern, I think that you could post your thread on Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows forum since the Visual Studio comes with Intel Fortran Compiler. You will get more useful help there.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 12, 2010 6:41 AM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the answer, I will follow your advice and post my question on Intel forum.

Best regards,

Tristan Evain

Monday, April 12, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Hi Tristan,

It's my pleasure!

Hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, April 12, 2010 6:41 AM