app cache vs downloading

Question

• Hi

I am completely confused as to what is the best way to create an offline version of a windows 8 application.

Currently it is basically a "web-app" where all information displayed to the user is returned from the database.

On the first page of the app, a few tiles are loaded from the database. On the second page more tiles are loaded, and drop down selection boxes are generated from information in the database.

Now if the user doesn't have internet connectivity, the first page itself wont load :), now is it better to rather download those images on first use of the app, and thereafter just use the "cached" images, or use the cache manifest way?

I am leaning towards just downloading the table structures, into json objects and storing them on first load as well as the pictures used.

But i am unsure if there is maybe a better and safer way to creating a offline app.

Any ideas or comments to point me to the correct way of doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sasha

Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Sasha,

I think you should really consider to download something to your local for your first page, you could always update the images later if the Internet is available. BTW, cache for the app is limited, I can't remember the exactly size, but it should be near 10MB or less. If your image is too large, download it to local folder is suggestion. If you second page content is dynamic, then to fetch them from Internet is preferred, user can always get the updated information. It really depends on what kind of content you want to show for your customer, the static one could be integrated with the app, the dynamic one which are not often updated, you could use "download" option, for the else, just use Internet connection.

Take a look at this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh868274 I'm not sure if the link will help you but at least you could see some good design patterns and category ideas for how to create an online and offline app.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Sasha_za Friday, October 25, 2013 6:56 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 2:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Sasha,

I think you should really consider to download something to your local for your first page, you could always update the images later if the Internet is available. BTW, cache for the app is limited, I can't remember the exactly size, but it should be near 10MB or less. If your image is too large, download it to local folder is suggestion. If you second page content is dynamic, then to fetch them from Internet is preferred, user can always get the updated information. It really depends on what kind of content you want to show for your customer, the static one could be integrated with the app, the dynamic one which are not often updated, you could use "download" option, for the else, just use Internet connection.

Take a look at this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh868274 I'm not sure if the link will help you but at least you could see some good design patterns and category ideas for how to create an online and offline app.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Sasha_za Friday, October 25, 2013 6:56 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Hi James

Thanks a lot for your input, downloading, does make more sense, just wanted to get others' ideas or opinions, so i could make a better informed decision.

Thank you again

Kind regards,

Sasha

Friday, October 25, 2013 6:56 AM