Can I develop windows 8 apps on windows 7 using visual studio 2012 installed on windows 7?

Question

• Hi Tech friends,

I want to kick start windows 8 app development. I have windows 7 machine.

First Question: Can I develop windows 8 apps on windows 7 using visual studio 2012 installed on windows 7?

Second question: Do we have emulator for Windows 8 RT?

-Jai

Friday, November 02, 2012 7:39 AM

Answers

• There is a simulator for Windows 8, but not for Windows RT. It works by terminal servering into the host machine with a client that emulates touch and location.

The code should work close enough to the same for Windows 8 and Windows RT that you can do all your development in Windows 8, although you still may want to test on a real Windows RT system.

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_Net Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jai Mallesh Babu Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:12 AM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 5:49 PM
    Owner
  • No, you have to use Windows 8 to develop Windows 8 apps.

Not sure quite what you are asking for the 2nd question. 

Friday, November 02, 2012 12:28 PM

All replies

Friday, November 02, 2012 12:28 PM
  • There is a simulator for Windows 8, but not for Windows RT. It works by terminal servering into the host machine with a client that emulates touch and location.

The code should work close enough to the same for Windows 8 and Windows RT that you can do all your development in Windows 8, although you still may want to test on a real Windows RT system.

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_Net Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jai Mallesh Babu Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:12 AM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 5:49 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob Caplan,

I am going to develop Windows 8 ,windows phone 8 and Windows RT apps. My doubt is the same code can use for all three or code is different .  

In my understanding is programming code not differ only UI design differ.

Please anyone confirm it.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:02 AM
  • The code for Windows Store apps to run on Windows 8 and Windows RT is the same. You will build for both architectures out of the exact same project.

The code for Windows Phone 8 apps is similar, but different. Take a look at Doug Rothaus and Andrew Byrne's //build/ talk How to Leverage your Code across WP8 and Windows 8 for suggestions on how to share code between the two.

--Rob

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:32 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob Caplan,

Thanks for your valuable reply.It's very useful.

I need sample code/program across wp8 and windows8.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:41 AM

I think he's wondering about the same question as I do.

I'm currently on Windows 7 using Visual Studio 2012 premium. When creating new projects, I have no options for developing Windows Store apps (Or 'Apps for Windows 8').

What I mean is, can I install Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012 premium on that OS, and then be able to choose Windows Store applications from my VS projects menu? Just as if some choices are hidden from the project selection based on my current OS (Win 7)

Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:20 AM
  • The Windows Store Apps project options will only be available if you are running Windows 8 as your OS. It will not work on Windows 7.
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I was looking for a solution to the same problem that Jai pointed, and I would like to ask you, Where can we find that simulator you mentioned in your replay

Thanks in Advance

-Souhail RAZZOUK-

Sunday, November 02, 2014 7:11 PM
  • The simulator is installed with Visual Studio for developing Windows Store apps
    Sunday, November 02, 2014 8:54 PM
    Owner