15401 Error when adding AD User to SQL 2005 logins RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very frustrating problem that I can't seem to figure out. Running SQL Server 2005 SP3 64-bit on Server 2008 R2.
    When I first finished installing SQL I ran Surface Area Config to add DOMAIN\Administrator to the sysadmin role. After that I opened of Management Studio to add another domain user login (DOMAIN\OMAdmin) that was a brand new AD account. Adding the login, SQL finds it from AD if I search for it, but when I try to create it I get the 15401 error. I've followed every step in KB324321 and have had no luck. There are no duplicate SIDs, the SQL server can communicate with both domain controllers, SQL is not case-sensitive, name resolution seems to be working fine (I can ping the NetBIOS name of other servers and it translates to an IP just fine).

So I'm completely baffled. I have tried adding other domain users and they will not add either. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:50 PM

All replies

• I figured out something else..
    While trying to reinstall SQL, I noticed it won't let me use DOMAIN\OMAdmin for the service account on install, I have to use DOMAIN\Administrator.. Any ideas there? DOMAIN\OMAdmin is a local admin on the server.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:46 PM