none
Using Kinect V2 SDK for Windows 10 Universal App on PC and Xbox One RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my work we are preparing for developing a fitness application that is supposed to run on Windows 10 (Maybe windows 8.1) and XBox One. We want to use the Kinect V2 for measuring the performance of the user while doing a workout.

I have a few questions:

1: Is it possible to develop a Windows 10 Universal App, that uses the Kinect V2 for both Windows 10 PC and XBox One - so one codebase for both products? I have read somewhere that Kinect V2 SDK is not supported for the Universal Windows Platform, but i can not understand why i should not be supported?

2: If its not possible to target the Universal Windows Platform, do we then need to target Windows 8.1 Store Apps, and develop a version for both Desktop and XBox One?

3: We want to show a fitness video that runs in the background, with a UI on top/overlay that displays the users vitals like heart-rate, intensesnes level, repetitions, and calorie burned. Can we use WPF/XAML for this, or do we need to hire a developer that excels in Unity or XNA?

4: If we hire a Unity/XNA developer, are these technologeis compatible with the Kinect V2?

I hope someone in here can answer my questions :)

Kind Regards

Anders

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:22 PM

All replies

• I could only answer about the Unity /Kinect part which is what I work in, and as I see it, there would be possibilities. Depends on the details and how you would like to use the Kinect.

(If you need, you could contact me, perhaps could help with more details.) 

Saturday, November 7, 2015 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. As far as i understand it, Unity can use something called a Kinect XSDK to talk to the Kinect Device. I can see you allready made a game in Unity, where you are using Unity and Kinect. So far you released it in the Windows Store. But can it also run on the XBox One? How about being able to run on the XBox One once it gets Windows 10?

If we want to develop a 2D game, can we still use Unity for this? I mean, we only need some text in top of a video showing the users heart-rate etc. I dont really see the need for a Game engine for that. But does Unity support 2D user interfaces?

Thanks.

Saturday, November 7, 2015 1:59 PM
  • 1. No, it is not possible at this time. Kinect 2 SDK does not support UWP targets. No announcement has been made yet when (or even if) it will be supported.

2. Yes

3. One of the possibilities is to use XAML MediaElement control and place "vitals monitoring" controls on top of it.

Monday, November 9, 2015 12:22 PM
  • Yes, your right, the game is made with Unity and Kinect. In theory you could use Unity for Xbox one, however, and I may be mistaken here because a lot of things moves fast now, but I think you need to be a registered developer for xbox. But then it would be possible.

Yes, you can do 2D in unity.

Monday, November 9, 2015 9:52 PM
  • 1. No. Kinect V2 is not supported as a UWP app.

2. Yes, you can target Windows 8.1 Store apps. You will need a separate version for both PC and Xbox (the Kinect APIs are slightly different between the two platforms).

3. WPF is great for PC development, but I don't think it's supported on Xbox. XAML would work for both. Unity is a very good choice if you want to make a 3D application. Unity has some excellent tutorials for getting started with their platform (any developer with C# knowledge should be able to pick it up quickly).

4. Yes, Unity can be used with Kinect v2 and can build applications for both Windows and Xbox. However, there are some differences in how the APIs are exposed in Unity, so you might need to download a Kinect sample from their store to get started.

As mentioned by other forum users, you will need to have an ID@Xbox account to gain access to the XDK and make games/applications for the console.

Monday, November 23, 2015 11:06 PM