Package not being installed into VS instance that's being debugged RRS feed

• Question

• I have a package project which works great on the machine where it was created. Today I've tried working with it on another computer. The only thing I've changed in the settings is specifying a correct path to Visual Studio on the Debugging page. The debuggee starts up fine, but breakpoints in the debugger aren't activated. Turns out it's because the debugger doesn't install package to the debuggee instance. The way I can make it work is run VS manually, uninstall my package, install it manually from .vsix and launch debugging. I have to do it after each code change which is a bit tedious. Any advices on fixing it?

One more thing: on the first PC, where it works fine, it's VS2012 all the way. On the problematic machine I develop in VS2013 RC, but run debug in VS2012.

• Edited by Alexium Monday, October 7, 2013 4:36 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 4:31 PM

Answers

• Turn on diagnostic build output and look for the step where it should try to install the copy the VSIX and install it, I would suspect you should be seeing some kind of error.
    Monday, October 7, 2013 6:51 PM

All replies

• The debugger is never the one to install anything, that is an outcome of the build process. Did you build the project on this second machine? Or just trying running it via F5 (which should have built/deployed it)?
    Monday, October 7, 2013 4:49 PM
  • I have tried build, rebuild, F5 - all of it to no avail.
    Monday, October 7, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Turn on diagnostic build output and look for the step where it should try to install the copy the VSIX and install it, I would suspect you should be seeing some kind of error.
    Monday, October 7, 2013 6:51 PM
  • How to enable diagnostics output?
    Monday, October 7, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Tools->Options->Project and Solutions->Build and Run. On the bottom of the page there is two combos, the first one says 'MSBuild Project build output verbosity', select either detailed or diagnostic and then rebuild.
    Monday, October 7, 2013 10:05 PM
  • All right, there's tons of output now. Any idea what I should be looking for?
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:54 AM