Feature inqury (WinInet - SOCKS 5) RRS feed

• Question

•   First of all sorry if this message/thread wouldn't appear at the right place, I'm new to the forums, and dunno where to post it.
      What I'd like to know is whether the WinInet API supports HTTP connections through a SOCKS5 proxy. I've successfully authenticated on a HTTP proxy server, and non-authenticated SOCKS (SOCKS4) connection works fine (gained some experience the old-fashioned trial-error way...), but SOCKS5 still refused to work.

In case some would have idea how to make it work, and would be as kind as sharing some details, I've mostly tried the InternetOpen(), InternetConnect(), HttpOpenRequest(), HttpSendRequest(), HttpClose() functions, together with InternetOption() called with INTERNET_OPTION_USERNAME, INTERNET_OPTION_PASSWORD options (and with INTERNET_OPTION_PROXY_USERNAME, INTERNET_OPTION_PROXY_PASSWORD, but effectively without any success with these two). The proxy server name was set to "socks=127.0.0.1:1080" as well as a SOCKS5 proxy was listening on that port. I've tried to set it to "socks5=...", but then this parameter was ignored without any notifying NULL result, exception or error code after the call to InternetOpen() or InternetConnect().

Any help would be appreciated, of course.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:36 PM

Answers

• Dear Janca,

My name is Jonathan Silvera and I am the Program Manager for the WinINet and WiNHTTP here at Microsoft. Currently the WinINet API supports version 4 of the SOCKS proxy protocol and WinHTTP has no support for SOCKS proxy. Although SOCKS is not a widely used protocol, we have received a few requests for support of SOCKS proxy versions 4a and 5. These request will be taken into consideration during our requirements phase for the Next Generation HTTP stack. For the latest information about our existing HTTP stacks along with future plans, please visit http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp . Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Sincerely

-Jonathan Silvera

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 9:29 AM