Weird instance error when starting lightswitch project RRS feed

• Question

• My exisiting application shows a funny beavior: When running as a desktop application, I instantly get a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." - Error and no screen data gets loaded. This happens on every screen. Refreshing the screen shows the same error. However, if I change the application type to "web", everything works like a charme.

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this behavior in an empty project. Once this error appears, I need to go back to my backup. I thought that my changes break the project, but I didn't even reapply them since the last time it happend, so I think that it's not my fault.

How could I track the error down? Or, did anyone experience this error before?

Im using Visual Studio 2012 German. 
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• If it's every screen, it's unlikely to be your code, but have you checked that you're not referencing an uninitialized property or object in your code somewhere? It's also odd that it doesn't throw the exception as a web application.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:48 AM
  • Hi,

no, there is no code that gets called on all screens. However, there is an error in the output window:

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Critical: 102 : Unexpcted Exception During Runtime Startup:
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Die Datei oder Assembly "msshrtmi, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
    Dateiname: "msshrtmi, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
       bei Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime.RoleEnvironment.InitializeEnvironment()
       bei Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime.RoleEnvironment..cctor()

This error occurs in both versions, either "Web" or "Desktop". I've looked into the installed program dialog, but can't seem to find anything related to Azure.

//Edit:

Ok, loading a backup won't work anymore. I get this error the whole time.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Anyone?
    Monday, January 7, 2013 7:46 AM
  • C'mon guys, you can do better than that. ;)
    Monday, January 14, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Well, now that you've given us more to go on, a search of the forum for "msshrtmi" yielded these two threads:

Could not load file or assembly 'msshrtmi'

Azure 'msshrtmi' problem

I haven't experienced this problem myself, so hopefully one of the threads will help you solve it.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

Monday, January 14, 2013 10:18 AM
  • Hi Yann,

I did a search by myself using "msshrtmi", but it's without any success. Platform Target is just fine. And I don't even have any Azure - Stuff installed. It's weird that I don't get this error when running it as a Web Project. But this, of course, is not exactly the ideal solution...

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Hey Daniel.

The output window error related to "msshrtmi" is not (AFAIK) related to this issue.

It was mentioned that you can successfully go back to a "backup" and it will work.  Is that still correct - does your backup work? 

What other details can you provide?  

Does this repro when running without debugging (CNTRL+F5)? 

Does this repro when running a published instance of the application?

When running the app for the repro, can you confirm that you have a vslshost.exe instance running for your application?   If yes, you might try killing current instance and try re-running again.

Robert Schoen (Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Team)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for picking this up Robert.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:35 AM
  • Hi Robert,

thank you for joining this thread.

It was mentioned that you can successfully go back to a "backup" and it will work. Is that still correct - does your backup work?

Unfortunately, this ain't the truth anymore. It's pretty weird: I unpacked a backup from the first week of december, and it worked. I tried my not working project and tried the fomerly working backup again. It doesn't work anymore. I thought that I might have taken the wrong version, so I deleted the recovered backup and unpacked it fresh from backup again - same error. o.O

What other details can you provide?

Well, I'm using Visual Studio Professional 2012, Version is 11.0.51106.01 Update 01. I have the following Extensions installed:

• ComponentOne Studio for Lightswitch 1.0.20123.28
    • DXperience 12.1.7
    • Document Toolkit for LightSwitch 1.7
    • Microsoft Web Developer Tools 1.0.30710.0
    • NuGet Package Manager 2.2.31210.9045
    • Productivity Power Tools 11.0.51106.2
    • SHFB 1.9.6.0
    • Visual Studio 2012 Color Theme Editor 2.2
    • Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript 1.0.9200.20512
    • VS10x Code Map v2 2.93

ComponentOne and SHFB where added after the problems occured. The application itself uses a WCF RIA Service as it's datasource, which is in the solution. 

Does this repro when running without debugging (CNTRL+F5)?

Yes, it does.

Does this repro when running a published instance of the application?
    Didn't try this, will do.
    When running the app for the repro, can you confirm that you have a vslshost.exe instance running for your application? If yes, you might try killing current instance and try re-running again.
    Yes, it's running, but killing doesn't change anything. The weirdest part is, that it works if debugged as an Web application. This is something I don't really understand...
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Ok, I had this error just a second ago in my Web application. I closed the browser (Chrome), started it again, and the error was gone. Started again, error didn't appear.

That's really weired.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Not sure how familiar you are with debugging LS apps but let’s try something.

Go to VS menu “Tools|Option” and open the Options dialog.

Uncheck “just my code” and “unwind the call…” as seen in image below

Open up the VS menu “Debug|Exceptions” dialog and open the “Exceptions” dialog.  Expand “Common Language Runtime ExceptionsàSystem” and under “System” check only “System.NullReferenceException” as seen in the image.

Now “F5” (debug) your desktop app and see what errors/exceptions you hit.  There is only one “expected” exception that should be displayed I believe and its “Source” is from “Microsoft.VisualStudio.Diagnostics.ServiceModelSink” (you can see this in the Details of the exception and you can see it in the “call stack”.  If you encounter any other exceptions, it is likely the cause.  At this point getting the “Call Stack” (can see this under the menu Debug|Windows ) and exception info/details would be helpful to help track down what could be going on here.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Thanks Robert, I didn't know this. So, after the first Error (which is the one you mentioned), I get 5 Errors. I'm not that pro at reading the Call Stack, but I guess there is something wrong with an Entity called "wiedervorlageItem"?

1. CallStack
    =================
    Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.ClientGenerated.Implementation.DataServiceContext.Microsoft.LightSwitch.Internal.IDataServiceImplementationCore.BeginLoadCanInformation.AnonymousMethod__22(object sender, Microsoft.LightSwitch.ExecuteCompletedEventArgs e) + 0xae Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.OnExecuteCompleted(Microsoft.LightSwitch.ExecuteCompletedEventArgs e) + 0xac Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.OnExecuteCompleted(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.Execution execution) + 0x88 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.EndExecution.AnonymousMethod__2c() + 0xad Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Threading.ClientGenerated.Internal.MainDispatcher.BeginInvoke.AnonymousMethod__0() + 0x43 Bytes	
     	[Übergang von Systemeigen zu Verwaltet]	
     	[Übergang von Verwaltet zu Systemeigen]	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(object[] args) + 0x6b Bytes	
     	System.Windows.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() + 0x26 Bytes	
     	System.Windows.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Dispatch(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority priority) + 0xd5 Bytes	
     	System.Windows.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.OnInvoke(object context) + 0xa Bytes	
     	System.Windows.dll!System.Windows.Hosting.CallbackCookie.Invoke(object[] args) + 0x16 Bytes	
     	System.Windows.RuntimeHost.dll!System.Windows.RuntimeHost.ManagedHost.InvokeDelegate(System.IntPtr pHandle, int nParamCount, System.Windows.Hosting.NativeMethods.ScriptParam[] pParams, ref System.Windows.Hosting.NativeMethods.ScriptParam pResult) + 0xe9 Bytes	
     	[Anwendungsdomänenübergang]	

2. CallStack
    ==================
    Microsoft.LightSwitch.Base.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.ClientGenerated.Implementation.DataServiceContext.Microsoft.LightSwitch.Internal.IDataServiceImplementationCore.GetCanInformation(string dataServiceMember, Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Internal.CanFlags requestedInfo, out Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Internal.CanFlags calculatedInfo) + 0x1b6 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Internal.CanInformation.GetEntitySetCanInformation(Microsoft.LightSwitch.IEntitySet entitySet, Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Internal.CanFlags requestedInfo, bool isExecutionRequest) + 0x1eb Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Internal.CanInformation.CanInsert(Microsoft.LightSwitch.IEntitySet entitySet) + 0x2a Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>..cctor.AnonymousMethod__7(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x58 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.EntitySet<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue<bool>(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.EntitySet<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> property, ref Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.EntitySet<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool>.Data propertyData) + 0x4e1 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>..cctor.AnonymousMethod__6(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x89 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanInsert.get() + 0x51 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Client.ScreenCollectionPropertyLoader<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanAddNew.get() + 0x47 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Client.ScreenCollectionPropertyLoader<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.Implementation.Internal.IScreenCollectionPropertyEditor.CanAddNew.get() + 0x22 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>..cctor.AnonymousMethod__6(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x38 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue<bool>(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> property, ref Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool>.Data propertyData) + 0x4e1 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanAddNew.get() + 0x93 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.MethodSetProperties..cctor.AnonymousMethod__3f(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d, System.Collections.ObjectModel.ReadOnlyCollection<object> args, System.Exception ex) + 0x25 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionMethodImplementation<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanExecuteAsyncCore(bool isExecutionRequest, ref System.Exception cannotExecuteAsyncException) + 0xbb Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.GetCanExecuteAsync(bool isExecutionRequest, out System.Exception cannotExecuteAsyncException) + 0x1a3 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.CanExecuteAsync.get() + 0x58 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.MethodInvocation<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>..ctor.AnonymousMethod__6(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x3b Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue<bool>(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> property, ref Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool>.Data propertyData) + 0x4e1 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.StructuralDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.MethodInvocation<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>> methodInvocation, Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> computedProperty) + 0x105 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.MethodInvocation<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>..ctor.AnonymousMethod__5(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x63 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.BeginInvokeGetValueOnLogicDispatcher<bool>.AnonymousMethod__24() + 0xd0 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Threading.DispatcherBase.Invoke(System.Action action) + 0xdc Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Threading.BackgroundDispatcher.Dispatch(object state) + 0x179 Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(object state) + 0x3e Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) + 0x97 Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem() + 0x5a Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch() + 0x1b3 Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback() + 0x5 Bytes	

3. CallStack
    ==========================	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.EntitySet<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue<bool>(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.EntitySet<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> property, ref Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.EntitySet<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool>.Data propertyData) + 0x5e0 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>..cctor.AnonymousMethod__6(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x89 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.EntitySetDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanInsert.get() + 0x51 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Client.ScreenCollectionPropertyLoader<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanAddNew.get() + 0x47 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Client.ScreenCollectionPropertyLoader<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.Implementation.Internal.IScreenCollectionPropertyEditor.CanAddNew.get() + 0x22 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>..cctor.AnonymousMethod__6(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x38 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanAddNew.get() + 0x93 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.MethodSetProperties..cctor.AnonymousMethod__3f(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d, System.Collections.ObjectModel.ReadOnlyCollection<object> args, System.Exception ex) + 0x25 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionMethodImplementation<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>.CanExecuteAsyncCore(bool isExecutionRequest, ref System.Exception cannotExecuteAsyncException) + 0xbb Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.GetCanExecuteAsync(bool isExecutionRequest, out System.Exception cannotExecuteAsyncException) + 0x1a3 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Base.ExecutableObject.CanExecuteAsync.get() + 0x58 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.MethodInvocation<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>..ctor.AnonymousMethod__6(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x3b Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.StructuralDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.MethodInvocation<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>> methodInvocation, Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> computedProperty) + 0x105 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.MethodInvocation<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>..ctor.AnonymousMethod__5(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem> d) + 0x63 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.BeginInvokeGetValueOnLogicDispatcher<bool>.AnonymousMethod__24() + 0xd0 Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Threading.DispatcherBase.Invoke(System.Action action) + 0xdc Bytes	
     	Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Threading.BackgroundDispatcher.Dispatch(object state) + 0x179 Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(object state) + 0x3e Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) + 0x97 Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem() + 0x5a Bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback() + 0x5 Bytes	

4. CallStack
    =======================
    Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue<bool>(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> property, ref Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool>.Data propertyData) + 0x5e0 Bytes	

5. CallStack
    ===================
    Microsoft.LightSwitch!Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.Base.ObjectDetails<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>>.GetComputedValue<bool>(Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool> property, ref Microsoft.LightSwitch.Details.Framework.ComputedDetailsProperty<Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollection<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,Microsoft.LightSwitch.Framework.Client.VisualCollectionDetails<LightSwitchApplication.wiedervorlageItem>,bool>.Data propertyData) + 0x5e0 Bytes	

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Daniel,

Can you try something?  Please make sure you have a backup of your project.  Next close the solution and Visual Studio.

Open in windows explorer the location where the project resides.  Within the project folder, you will find a Client, Common and Server folder.  Go into each of those three folders and delete the folders called "GeneratedArtifacts". 

Then reopen the project, do a "clean" and then a full "Rebuild" of the solution.  Now run it again and see what happens.

Also, can you tell me more about your application?  Are you consuming any Ria Services within the solution?  Have you added any references manually to any of your projects?

In the mean time, i'll see if I can get someone on the team to take a look at the call stacks provided. 

Daniel,  I should have mentioned to in addition to the call stacks, to also include the actual "exception" text/messages that occur for each call stack.  If you can, you can just include this for the first exception/callstack that your hitting?

ALSO,

Can tell me if your project is under Source Control?  If yes, create a copy of your project and remove it from Source Control and then ensure all files within the project system are writable.   If not, ensure all files are read/writeable by your machien account. 

Is the project folder sources located in a path that is on the local machine drive AND a path that is short (say C:\myshortpath\projectfolder)

Also can you review the visual studios's "Error List" window for any errors/warnings?

Lastly, have you modified the build configuration for the solution an any way? 
    Friday, January 18, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I wasn't at work until today, sorry for the delay. Deleting the "GeneratedArtifacts" didn't do the trick. The error text is always the same: 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The path, where this project is located, is:

C:\Users\Daniel\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Kiga

It's local.

The Error List is empty. However, the Output - Window shows some entries: http://pastebin.com/Mvm1eMZM 

The Solution has some more projects in it, a Silverlight Library and a RIA Service. There are some UserControls in the LightSwitch application, which use some functions out of the Silverlight Library.

There is no Source Control involved, and the Build configuration hasn't been modified.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Me again:

There are also folders called ClientGenerated and ServerGenerated. Is there reason, why renaming them doesn't raise any error? I tried, and thought that they might get regenerated or that I at least get an error...

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:35 PM
  • No problems - I was out Monday!

So I am able to repro the error BUT it is done artifically by ending the vslshost process just as I start the application. 

The clientgenerated and servergenerated projects, if you rename hose folders on disk, they should just get recreated on the next F5/Build event so that will explain no errors.

Regarding those callstacks that you had listed earlier. Can you provide the exception message/text that is associated with each one of those? 

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

You said above that you're using VS 2012. LS 2012 projects (& I'm assuming your project is an upgraded project, originally created in LS 2011) don't have the xxxGenerated projects any more.

The upgrade wizard doesn't delete them, but they're not being used, so you can delete them from a LS 2012 project.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Hi,

that's weird. I looked at the vslshost process, it's there all the time. I looked at my programs that I installed around this time where the error first occured. These are:

• Fiddler
    • Entity Framework Designer for Visual Studio 2012 - enu
    • Sage GS-Adressen
    • Sage GS-Office
    • TeamViewer 8

Are there any known problems?

Robert, maybe I got it wrong, but the message for each one is the one that I posted. 

Since this morning btw, when loading up the web project, I takes really long for it to start. If I look at the output window, I can see messages like 

vslshost.exe" (Managed (v4.0.30319)): "C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll" loaded

And, if I remember correct, these entries should appear really fast. But they appear one by one, with a second delay...

What's going on here?

Btw, thanks Yann for the hint. Deleted the *Generated - folders.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Ok, forget this slow loading thingy, it was my fault. Didn't turn on the "enable just my code" again, and had no symbol cache (according to Visual Studio Debugging/Loading Very Slow). Works like a charme now, but the other problem still exists.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:32 AM
  • You're welcome Daniel.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Daniel, I have contacted a few team members to see if they can assist with this issue.  Hopefully more info to come.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Hi Robert, 

thanks. Meanwhile, I removed the "wiedervorlageItem" from the Datasource, and removed all code that was bound to this entity and their screens. As for now, there is no NullReferenceException. I didn't put back the code, but I'm still wondering about the error. Because, it even occured when the entity wasn't loaded (e.g. all screens referring to this entity were closed).

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Thanks for the update Daniel!  Can your try and duplicate the issue within a new basic Lightswitch application?    

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Yeah,

I tried that, and I cannot duplicate it.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Well, at the moment, I think these two issues are related: RIA Service Query gets called twice. Maybe the project itself was somehow messed up.
    • Marked as answer by DanielGilbert Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:53 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:53 AM