Is there any newer version of ASP.Net Web Pages in cards RRS feed

• Question

• User-910361580 posted

I was just wondering that is there anything new coming up with ASP.Net. New versions of dot net, MVC everything have come, but after web pages 2 we got only web pages 3. Please let me know if any work is being done in web pages, or people working on web pages should consider shifting to other languages.

Sunday, August 28, 2016 1:54 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

There is no Web Pages 4 currently being planned. The existing Web Pages framework is very much tied into classic ASP.NET (System.Web-based framework) and therefore its fortunes are married to MVC 5. I'm not sure how much additional love that framework will receive, and if any at all, how many scraps from that table will be passed to Web Pages.

There is a Razor Pages issue on Github as part of .NET Core but the messaging around that is very confused at the moment. Some parts of the ASP.NET team seem to want to produce an MVC framework with no controllers (controller-less views) and others refer to a page-based development model similar to Web Pages. I get the distinct impression that they haven't actually decided or agreed on a way forward yet. That might also explain why requests for clarity on the issue remain unanswered at the moment.

Having said that, .NET Core is not necessarily a natural upgrade yet. Web Pages 3 is a mature, stable and supported framework. Unless you need the ability to deploy your app to an Apache server, MVC 5 is currently the recommended MVC framework.  .NET Core is at least one full version away from being a natural replacement, if past history is anything to go by.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:33 PM

All replies

• User1853794821 posted

There has been some talk on the blogs about "Razor Pages".  However, it is not meant to be a replacement for WebPages.  It seems more like providing the ability for a MVC project to be able to drop down into something very much like web pages where a lot of the MVC "baggage" would not be required.

There is a repo on git hub (https://github.com/aspnet/RazorPages)

Sunday, August 28, 2016 2:03 PM
  • User379720387 posted

The folks at Microsoft have forgotten the original premise as to why WebMatrix and Web Pages came to be (aspiring coders). 

Now they are dreaming up a convoluted mess stripping away all the main features that made Web Pages so attractive (to aspiring coders).

Unless someone at Microsoft nips this in the bud the landscape will be: Web Forms, MVC, WebPages Pages (on life support), and MVCPages.

Guess what will happen in a few years from now? 

Sunday, August 28, 2016 2:55 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

There is no Web Pages 4 currently being planned. The existing Web Pages framework is very much tied into classic ASP.NET (System.Web-based framework) and therefore its fortunes are married to MVC 5. I'm not sure how much additional love that framework will receive, and if any at all, how many scraps from that table will be passed to Web Pages.

There is a Razor Pages issue on Github as part of .NET Core but the messaging around that is very confused at the moment. Some parts of the ASP.NET team seem to want to produce an MVC framework with no controllers (controller-less views) and others refer to a page-based development model similar to Web Pages. I get the distinct impression that they haven't actually decided or agreed on a way forward yet. That might also explain why requests for clarity on the issue remain unanswered at the moment.

Having said that, .NET Core is not necessarily a natural upgrade yet. Web Pages 3 is a mature, stable and supported framework. Unless you need the ability to deploy your app to an Apache server, MVC 5 is currently the recommended MVC framework.  .NET Core is at least one full version away from being a natural replacement, if past history is anything to go by.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:33 PM
  • User-910361580 posted

Dear Mikes

I am a classic asp coder, and have dived into Web pages (VB) just an year back and now I feel somewhat comfortable with it. But as far as I can see, there seems no long term hopes for Web Pages as well. What do you suggest that the current Web Pages coders should do or look into, to keep themselves ready for the future.

Thanks

Sunday, August 28, 2016 11:09 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

If you want to make a career out of coding, you should learn C#, then learn MVC. If you can please yourself in terms of the framework and languages you use, stick with Web Pages and VB for the time being. There is not need to change.

Monday, August 29, 2016 6:59 AM