none
Report Viewer Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I do my development work on a Windows7 64bit machine.  I am running Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 2.0.  I have been struggling with implementing a series of reports for over a week now.  Problems encountered include:

1.        Installing the correct version of the report viewer dll on my development machine and in the Visual Studio toolbox.   A year or so ago, I created a set of reports using what I think was Microsoft ReportViewer version 8.0.0.0.  Everything worked fine.  When I started working on the current set of reports, I got a prompt that a newer version of the viewer was available, and did I want to install it.  I said yes, and my troubles began.  I began getting errors complaining about various versions of the viewer being available. I tracked down multiple copies of the viewer dll that were in the Windows/assembly directory as well as some that were deeply buried in the Visual Studio 2008 directory.  I deleted all of them that I could find, then downloaded and reinstalled version 9.0.0.0.  (Question: Why are so many copies of the same dll required in so many places?)

2.        Next, when I tried to edit the .rdlc file, Visual Studio crashed.  I thought that might be caused by some sort of bug in version 9.0.0.0, so I went back deleted all the version 9.0.0.0 dlls and downloaded and installed version 8.0.0.0 again.  Visual studio still crashes if I try to edit an .rdlc file or even open a new template.  However, I did get a report to run….sort of.  It displays the first row of the 4000 rows that were returned by the stored procedure.  I had used the table as the report data source.

3.       An internet search for the 1 row problem yielded advice to use enumerable lists instead of the returned table, because the one row behavior was the default behavior for this product when a table is used as the data source.  What????  I can’t believe Microsoft would deploy a reporting product that did not allow binding to a table.  If ReportViewer can’t use a datable as a data source, then it is severely broken, and deserves Microsoft’s full attention until it becomes a workable product.

4.       Searching on the VS crash problem turned up advice from a Microsoft employee to edit the .rdlc file in a separate project, and then put it back into the project it belongs to after edits are completed.  He called it a “workaround”.  What I would call it is less elegant.

5.       Oh, there is one more problem.  When a report viewer is either dragged and dropped on a page or created from source code, it results in an error, “Error creating control, failed to create designer Microsoft Web Forms Report Viewer……etc.”, so that the smart tag is unavailable for use.

A large number of reports remain to be developed, and I am currently dead in the water.    I’d appreciate any advice on which version of the Report Viewer should I be using as well as how to overcome the difficulties I’m having with the product.  Is it possible that all these problems I’m experiencing are caused by my 64 bit system?  I haven’t had any problems with Visual

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:26 PM

All replies

• Followup:  Removed Report Viewer 8 and 9.  Removed and reinstalled VS2008, which loaded Report Viewer 9 by default.  I also Loaded Crystal Reports with VS2008.  Visual studio still crashes when trying to edit an rdlc file.  I'll continue development with Crystal Reports.  Microsoft needs to spend a little time getting the local Report Viewer up to industrial strength.

Sailor637

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:26 PM