PowerPivot on Small Business Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install PowerPivot on a 64bit version of Excel 2010 with what appears to be all the rpe-requisites (.NET, Shared Features, etc) yet I continually recieve the error that Shared Features is not installed.

Can PowerPivot be installed on SBS 2011 Essentials (what I'm trying to do)? Or SBS 2011 Standard?

Thanks. 

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Green,

No, PowerPivot for Excel is an add-in to Excel 2010 that provides tools for adding and integrating large amounts of data in Excel workbooks. The add-in includes the following components:

• A PowerPivot menu in the Excel ribbon.

• A PowerPivot window that opens over Excel. It provides a design surface and tools for adding, relating, and enriching data.

• A local Analysis Services VertiPaq engine that compresses and loads data and makes it available to data visualization objects, such as PivotTables, in a worksheet.

• Updated versions of AMO, ADOMD.NET, and the Analysis Services OLE DB provider to support connections to PowerPivot data.

• An ATOM data feed provider for importing and refreshing data in the ATOM format.

To install the client application, you can download and run a setup program (PowerPivot_for_Excel.msi) that copies the program files to your computer.

Reference http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210644.aspx

The PowerPivot addin can consume data from many sources check out the PowerPivot Features http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210639.aspx and dont get too confused over the name used in some places PowerPivot for Excel is refered to as SQL PowerPivot for Excel.

Software Requirements

• Microsoft Windows Vista® or Microsoft Windows 7 Business Edition or Ultimate Edition (64-bit)
    • Microsoft Excel 2010 (64-bit)
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you must also install the Platform Update that is available from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971644 . If you are using a server operating system for client applications, be sure to enable the Desktop Experience feature on your computer

Note: You can use Excel 2007 or Excel 2010 without the PowerPivot add-in to view PowerPivot workbooks that have been cached by Excel, but the workbook will not be interactive. Slice and filter operations require the add-in. For more information, see PowerPivot for Excel.

Please let me knoiw if you need any more information...

Cheers,

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:31 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Green,

There are two parts to PowerPivot the Excel 2010 Addin and the PowerPivot for SharePoint (SSAS INtegrated Mode / Vertipaq). PowerPivot for SharePoint is an enterprise feature, and it requires the Enterprise edition of SharePoint 2010. You can install PowerPivot for SharePoint using any of the following editions of SQL Server 2008 R2: Developer, Enterprise, Evaluation, Data Center.

-Ivan

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Thanks Ivan,

I just really want the Excel Addin to work. It was more a question of whether it is not installing due to the restriction on SBS not being able to install SQL components. Does the Excel Addin require SQL Server 2008 R2 as well? I.e. Can the Excel Addin be installed without the other SharePoint part?

Thanks again.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Hi Green,

No, PowerPivot for Excel is an add-in to Excel 2010 that provides tools for adding and integrating large amounts of data in Excel workbooks. The add-in includes the following components:

• A PowerPivot menu in the Excel ribbon.

• A PowerPivot window that opens over Excel. It provides a design surface and tools for adding, relating, and enriching data.

• A local Analysis Services VertiPaq engine that compresses and loads data and makes it available to data visualization objects, such as PivotTables, in a worksheet.

• Updated versions of AMO, ADOMD.NET, and the Analysis Services OLE DB provider to support connections to PowerPivot data.

• An ATOM data feed provider for importing and refreshing data in the ATOM format.

To install the client application, you can download and run a setup program (PowerPivot_for_Excel.msi) that copies the program files to your computer.

Reference http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210644.aspx

The PowerPivot addin can consume data from many sources check out the PowerPivot Features http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210639.aspx and dont get too confused over the name used in some places PowerPivot for Excel is refered to as SQL PowerPivot for Excel.

Software Requirements

• Microsoft Windows Vista® or Microsoft Windows 7 Business Edition or Ultimate Edition (64-bit)
    • Microsoft Excel 2010 (64-bit)
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you must also install the Platform Update that is available from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971644 . If you are using a server operating system for client applications, be sure to enable the Desktop Experience feature on your computer

Note: You can use Excel 2007 or Excel 2010 without the PowerPivot add-in to view PowerPivot workbooks that have been cached by Excel, but the workbook will not be interactive. Slice and filter operations require the add-in. For more information, see PowerPivot for Excel.

Please let me knoiw if you need any more information...

Cheers,

-Ivan

• Marked as answer by Challen Fu Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:31 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:32 AM