Visual Studio and Android Studio are complatibles? RRS feed

• Question

• User171681 posted

Hello,

I have Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 installed with all Xamarin features. Now I need to open an Android Studio project, but before install anything I want to know if there is any compatibility problem between Visual Studio/Xamarin and Android Studio. Do I need to keep anything in mind?

Thank you, Jon.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:03 PM

Answers

• User103661 posted

You can have them both installed at one time. The only time you may run into challenges if you try to share the Android SDK folder between both Visual Studio and Android Studio. That is also supposed to be a supported scenario but it seems risky to me. If you have the disk space you can avoid potential problems by letting Android Studio and Visual Studio install and manage their own copy of the Android SDK. I personally use Android Studio for WYSIWYG XML editor that is light years better than the one in Xamarin.Visual Studio.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:45 PM
  • User205607 posted

I wouldn't recommend trying to share SDKs between the two dev environments. You WILL eventually run into issues when something is looking for a specific directory mapping and can't find it.

You can share system images/emulators. Just have the emulator that you want to use running, and either IDE should deploy to it.

Otherwise, you s/b fine. I run both IDEs on Windows and Mac w/o issues.

Friday, October 20, 2017 9:23 PM

All replies

• User103661 posted

You can have them both installed at one time. The only time you may run into challenges if you try to share the Android SDK folder between both Visual Studio and Android Studio. That is also supposed to be a supported scenario but it seems risky to me. If you have the disk space you can avoid potential problems by letting Android Studio and Visual Studio install and manage their own copy of the Android SDK. I personally use Android Studio for WYSIWYG XML editor that is light years better than the one in Xamarin.Visual Studio.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:45 PM
  • User205607 posted

I wouldn't recommend trying to share SDKs between the two dev environments. You WILL eventually run into issues when something is looking for a specific directory mapping and can't find it.

You can share system images/emulators. Just have the emulator that you want to use running, and either IDE should deploy to it.

Otherwise, you s/b fine. I run both IDEs on Windows and Mac w/o issues.

Friday, October 20, 2017 9:23 PM
  • User171681 posted

Thanks to both of you.

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:38 AM