Deploying Printers RRS feed

• Question

• I have been reading on a way for users to install their own printers using SharePoint. I have created a custom list to add links to the .bat files that i have created on a network Shared folder. The only issue is that the .bat file does not owrk. I am following someone els`s notes on this and he says that by adding \\servername\printername into a batch file that it will work.

Has anyone got something similar to my idea that actually works?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:33 PM

Answers

• I have done this and it is not necessary to allow these blocked files on your SharePoint server.

Eg.

1. In your custom list and a column called Install Link of type Hyperlink or Picture.
    2. Edit/Create a list item
    3. For the Web Address: enter the UNC or file://Path/Filename.bat
    4. For the Description: enter "CLICK HERE TO INSTALL, then select RUN"

I also add a few other columns like Printer Name (prev Title), Location, Description, Printer Type, Floor. This way you can create an organized list for your users with grouping, etc.

Make all the columns display only, with no links, including the Title (Printer Name). The "Install Link" will be the only like and will launch your Bat file from the UNC location.

I group by type (Windows or DOS) so batch files are clear for staff, Windows installs the driver, DOS maps the LTP2 port for some of our really old software.

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Proposed as answer by Stunpals Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xue-Mei Chang-MSFT Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:54 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:27 PM

All replies

• For this purpose you can use bat or vbs files, but these extensions are blocked by default. You can change this setting in central administration http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262496.aspx

http://davepyett.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/installing-network-printers-from-sharepoint/

Another option for printer deployment might be active directory with group policies.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I tried unblocking Bat and VBS files but the batch file still does not work. I have tried using GPO but it cannot do what we were hoping to achieve, so hence us letting the users install their own printers from a list using SharePoint.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:18 PM
  • I have done this and it is not necessary to allow these blocked files on your SharePoint server.

Eg.

1. In your custom list and a column called Install Link of type Hyperlink or Picture.
    2. Edit/Create a list item
    3. For the Web Address: enter the UNC or file://Path/Filename.bat
    4. For the Description: enter "CLICK HERE TO INSTALL, then select RUN"

I also add a few other columns like Printer Name (prev Title), Location, Description, Printer Type, Floor. This way you can create an organized list for your users with grouping, etc.

Make all the columns display only, with no links, including the Title (Printer Name). The "Install Link" will be the only like and will launch your Bat file from the UNC location.

I group by type (Windows or DOS) so batch files are clear for staff, Windows installs the driver, DOS maps the LTP2 port for some of our really old software.

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Proposed as answer by Stunpals Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xue-Mei Chang-MSFT Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:54 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:27 PM