Multiple Hosts and Host Instances RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for speed up and making our BizTalk system more comfortable to handle. Now I found the possibility to create my own Hosts and assign them e.g. to an orchestration. My question in this point is, if this is a common way for BizTalk setups and have I any advantages, if I create e.g. for every of my project an own host (and host instance).

I think it makes easier to handle the system, because I don't have to restart the host instance for all application if update one.

Has anyone  experience with this?

Can I make the system faster this way?

Regards

Peter

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:59 PM

Answers

• The advantages of having multiple hosts/host instances, which come to mind:

(a) As you mention, you need to restart only the host instance in which an artifact was modified.

(b) Better isolation among artifacts - for example, if some adapter crashed, it will only bring down the host instance in which it is running, and not other host instances.

(c) You can apply different throttling settings to different hosts. So, for example, assign less memory to the host instance running some adapter X, while allow the host instance running your orchestrations to consume more memory.

(d) Assign different permissions (Windows Group) to different host instances.

(e) In multi-machine scenarios, you can selectively run some a host instance HI1 from host H1 on machine M1, while run host instance HI2 from host H2 on Machine M2. There could be some scenarios where you want this sort of split.

As with regards to making the system faster:

(a) Point (c) above is one thing which you can control.

(b) If you have 3 machines (for example), and you find orchestrations take longer to run compared to sending a message via an adapter to a backend, you could assign orchestrations to hosts which run on 2 machines, and assign the send port to a 3rd host which runs on the 3rd machine.

The above points should help you figure out how you can make use of multiple hosts / host instances / machines to make your processing faster.

Mustansir

• Marked as answer by edhickey Monday, December 29, 2008 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:07 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The advantages of having multiple hosts/host instances, which come to mind:

(a) As you mention, you need to restart only the host instance in which an artifact was modified.

(b) Better isolation among artifacts - for example, if some adapter crashed, it will only bring down the host instance in which it is running, and not other host instances.

(c) You can apply different throttling settings to different hosts. So, for example, assign less memory to the host instance running some adapter X, while allow the host instance running your orchestrations to consume more memory.

(d) Assign different permissions (Windows Group) to different host instances.

(e) In multi-machine scenarios, you can selectively run some a host instance HI1 from host H1 on machine M1, while run host instance HI2 from host H2 on Machine M2. There could be some scenarios where you want this sort of split.

As with regards to making the system faster:

(a) Point (c) above is one thing which you can control.

(b) If you have 3 machines (for example), and you find orchestrations take longer to run compared to sending a message via an adapter to a backend, you could assign orchestrations to hosts which run on 2 machines, and assign the send port to a 3rd host which runs on the 3rd machine.

The above points should help you figure out how you can make use of multiple hosts / host instances / machines to make your processing faster.

Mustansir

• Marked as answer by edhickey Monday, December 29, 2008 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • And to help you reconfigure your existing applications into their own hosts you can use the "BizTalk Host Configurator per Application" tool that Saravana Kumar has put on codeplex.

Regards,

Thiago Almeida

http://connectedthoughts.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by edhickey Monday, December 29, 2008 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:22 PM
    Answerer