none
re: Visual Studio 2008 Keys RRS feed

• Question

• When we install Visual Studio 2008 from MSDN, it prefills in the product key and greys it out.    Is this key our key?  Or a general MSDN key for eveyr msdn version of Visual Studio 2008?

Thanks

Monday, November 26, 2007 11:00 PM

Answers

• Jason -

Jeremy is correct that the VS 2008 keys embedded in the products (pre-pidded) are product and version wide and are not associated with specific users like other product keys often are.

I am not certain however whether the key embedded in the VS2008 software is the same for all distribution channels across Microsoft. In my old support days you might see the Subscriptions versions have different keys from versions purchased through a retail supplier or received through a different mechanism or Program. This helps support identify the version and source of the software for troubleshooting.

Additionally some products might be pre-pidded for distribution through one channel such as Subscriptions, but have unique keys when distributed through other mechanisms. Since the Subscriptions End User License Agreements (EULAs) are for test and development (for MSDN), and for evaluation (TechNet)  - being able to provide pre-pidded software to Subscribers where software is uninstalled and reinstalled very often - in accordance with the EULAs - is desirable to allow you to get your work done.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:33 PM

All replies

• I can't speak directly to this -- but generally, from what I've seen, MSDN keys have been across-the-board if they are embedded on to the CD ...  Don't know if this has changed recently though ...

- Jeremy

Monday, November 26, 2007 11:29 PM
  • Jason -

Jeremy is correct that the VS 2008 keys embedded in the products (pre-pidded) are product and version wide and are not associated with specific users like other product keys often are.

I am not certain however whether the key embedded in the VS2008 software is the same for all distribution channels across Microsoft. In my old support days you might see the Subscriptions versions have different keys from versions purchased through a retail supplier or received through a different mechanism or Program. This helps support identify the version and source of the software for troubleshooting.

Additionally some products might be pre-pidded for distribution through one channel such as Subscriptions, but have unique keys when distributed through other mechanisms. Since the Subscriptions End User License Agreements (EULAs) are for test and development (for MSDN), and for evaluation (TechNet)  - being able to provide pre-pidded software to Subscribers where software is uninstalled and reinstalled very often - in accordance with the EULAs - is desirable to allow you to get your work done.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:33 PM
  • After installation is complete, where can you find the key value?
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Look under "About Visual Studio"

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:00 AM
  • I am using the trial version of VS2008 given out at the MS VS2008 release party and want to update to the registered version.

I have two problems:

1. When I bring up the VS2008, it warns me that I have 11 days left before the trial wears out. That screen has a button called "Upgrade", which I assume is to enter the product key. However when I click on the Upgrade button it takes me to an msdn.microsoft.com page that says "Content Not Found". Is that what is supposed to happen?

2. I go to my MSDN subscriptions page and see that I can download various versions of VS2008. I have the trial version of the professional version. But when I try to get the registration key and it says VS2008 is pre-pidded and there is no way to get an unlocking key.

So, my questions are: can I get the product key from MSDN or do I have to download a new image and install it.

Or if that is the wrong question, what can I do to register my VS2008?

And a third question: what does pre-pidded mean? Is it an acronym?

Thursday, May 1, 2008 4:59 AM
  • Pre - pidded means that the product key is "embedded" in the image.

You would need to download a new image from the MSDN Subscriptions Benefits Portal and install the new version. I don't know if you will have any conflicts between the trial and the new version. To be safe, you may want to uninstall the trial version first.
    Julie Cairn (MSFT)
    • Proposed as answer by 名少大连 Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by 名少大连 Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:17 PM