Sharepoint - Approval Workflow - Version Help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!,

So this is my situation,

Using the pre-build approval workflow, I will send email to 2 other (Person A and B) in serial. A and B and Me all have full control on the document. (they are my bosses)

Let's say I already started the workflow and now the task is on Person A. However, I now wish to make changes to document, so I check out the document and later check it in. Is there any version control way I can ensure to make Person A see the "latest" version of the changes I made? (as the task is still pending on him). There is a chance he will see the "unedited" version before i edit it.

Or does this sounds illogical as because it is a Approval Workflow, No changes should be made unless Person A/B click the [Request Change] button back to Me and ask me to make changes. That means to say, If I need to make changes I should "End" the workflow and restart it but this would mean I have to go through all the approval again.

Appreciate any help!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Krystal91,

When we create an approval workflow, we set a Task List for the workflow, after starting the workflow, there is a task assigned to a user which will be saved in the task list.

If the user want to have permissions to approve the document, the user need to have permissions to edit the task assigned to himself, and the user need to have permission to view the current document.

So the user with at least contribute permissions on the task list and at least read permissions on the current library can approve the document in the approval workflow.

Remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Krystal91,

From your description, you want to make the Person A can see the "latest" version of the changes of the document.

Navigate to Library Settings->Versioning Settings->Choose Any user who can read items can see draft items:

You needn't to make changes after waiting the end of the workflow. whether the user can see the draft versions of the document isn't related with the workflow.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:11 AM
  • Thank you Lisa,

On a side note:

Regarding permissions,

Can a user with only "read" permission approve the document in a approval workflow? Or does she need to have the Approve permisison as well.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:47 AM
  • Hi Krystal91,

When we create an approval workflow, we set a Task List for the workflow, after starting the workflow, there is a task assigned to a user which will be saved in the task list.

If the user want to have permissions to approve the document, the user need to have permissions to edit the task assigned to himself, and the user need to have permission to view the current document.

So the user with at least contribute permissions on the task list and at least read permissions on the current library can approve the document in the approval workflow.

Remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:10 AM